The Nine pay offer was up to $200,000 short of Stefanovic's salary.
In a statement released on behalf of Nine CEO Hugh Marks and shared by Lisa to Twitter, the pay dispute was all but confirmed as the reason behind her departure.
Georgie was TODAY's newsreader for seven years before she resigned in 2014 to take on a broader role within the network. Jeffreys has also been the primary stand-in host whenever Wilkinson has been absent. Its award-winning news and current affairs The Project programme is due to be expanded to six nights a week. "So we are having network wars right now".
The female presenter of one of Australia's most prestigious TV news shows has moved to a rival channel amid reports that she was not able to get pay parity with her male co-presenter.
The contract talks between the two parties were reported to have been "abruptly terminated" on Monday during a hastily arranged meeting in which "the Nine boss decided not to renew Wilkinson's contract which expires at the end of the year", The Daily Telegraph said.
"I didn't work with Lisa anywhere as long as you guys but as a fellow Sound of Music fan Lisa, I have to say it Maria Von Trapp "when a door closes a window opens" it sounds like that's happened for you so I wish you all there is very best to you, Fitz and the family for the future".
"You go from being a journalist on the road sitting in gutters and crime scenes covering stories and being out and about every day and being on air for a minute and a half potentially during a 6 o'clock bulletin to being on air three and a half hours ..."
And while she loathes the 3.20am alarm clock that comes with breakfast television, she feels fortunate to have her gig on Today delivering information to the viewers and sharing her personality.
Entertainment reporter Peter Ford said on The Kyle and Jackie O Show Wilkinson's swipe card to access the Nine building was cancelled at 5.05pm on Monday.
As shocked as he may be, Karl Stefanovic did not let the news phase him. She will now join Network Ten's "The Project" and "The Sunday Project".
Lisa Wilkinson has spent her first day of freedom following her dramatic exit from the Today show with her elderly mother, who she admits is "very worried" about her.
- Samsung lets loose new tracking device for your kids and pets
- Launch of new Great Western Railway trains doesn't exactly go to plan
- Ed Sheeran hospitalised after bike crash
- Malta blogger Daphne Caruana Galizia killed in vehicle bomb attack
- Russian Federation set to take on Bitcoin with its own 'CryptoRuble'
- Bodies of two missing hikers found in Joshua Tree National Park
- Resident Evil 7's Free Chris Redfield DLC is Finally Out in December
- Weah hat-trick-buoyed U.S. pummel Paraguay
- Piers Morgan pokes fun at Charlotte Hawkins following Strictly exit
- English Premier League match report Leicester City v West Bromwich Albion