Based on current rates, California's increase will likely result in the second highest state gas tax in the nation, behind Pennsylvania and ahead of Washington and Hawaii. It will raise prices for normal gasoline by 12 cents per gallon.
Gov. Brown said this is "a landmark transportation investment to fix our roads, freeways and bridges in communities across California and put more dollars toward transit and safety".
The bill goes into effect November 1.
At most California gas stations, "you will see a 3- to 5-cent increase" in gasoline prices this week, predicted Michael Blasky, a spokesman for AAA Northern California.
Most California drivers can expect the taxes and fees to cost them less than $10 each month, according to Brown.
"Where does it stop?"
"So next week we'll be back above $3 (a gallon), and I'm betting next summer we'll be back up to $4", Becky Cole said. They also noted that the bill passed with no votes to spare after Brown and legislative leaders agreed to provide almost $1 billion in side deals to the districts of legislators who were on the fence but agreed later to vote for the measure.
The proposed bill will create the Road Maintenance and Rehabilitation Program, which will address deferred maintenance on the state highway system and the local street and road system, according to SB1, which was signed and passed in April.
As part of the legislation, motorists will also have to pay an annual vehicle fee, though that doesn't take effect until January 1, 2018.
More than 20 other US states have passed similar tax increases on gas.
- Lewis had it easy - Alonso
- Sector Investor's Alert - TRI Pointe Group, Inc. (NYSE:TPH)
- Scotland and other home nations in poppy request for November matches
- Stock Rating Update on the Shares of Endo Int'l Plc (ENDP)
- Tiger Woods to return to competitive golf
- United starts longest nonstop service from US - LA to Singapore
- Tata Steel returns to profit in Q2, but misses analyst estimates
- Addressing Significant Need, UK and Toyota Partner to Offer Unique Engineering Program
- Federer beats del Potro, wins Swiss crown
- Several Injured Two Groups of Nigerians Clash in Saket