Greater responsibility may fall on Lingard in the coming weeks when Paul Pogba will be suspended for second-placed United following his red card against the Gunners.
After the break he continued to thwart Arsenal's best efforts, making an astonishing double save to first keep out Alexandre Lacazette's shot, then stuck out his leg to deny Alexis Sanchez from point-blank range.
"I think we were carrying on from Watford and the fact that, when we play, obviously in this system, we can play with two strikers", he told MUTV.
"I don't believe in that s***", he said bluntly.
ZENPIX Melanie Da Cruz Evelina Kamph and Camille Sold
"He played well", United boss Mourinho said.
"But I have to say that my players deserve all the great words".
I can already hear most of you collectively shout, "whaaaaaaaaat?!" after reading the title - and some of them would include even De Gea's most ardent fans.
Lingard grabbed a second goal on 63 minutes, and though Pogba was dismissed late on, the Red Devils held firm to claim a critical three points from a pulsating North London encounter. "I leave for you the Lukaku situation with Koscielny, I leave for you the Arsenal players on the grass". Arsenal. Indeed, on any other day against any other goalkeeper, Wenger's men might well have taken a point from the game at least. We were going at 2-1 with 25 minutes to go and could come back, but the 3-1 is the killer.
Arsenal had over thirty attempts in the match and De Gea was more than up to the task and delivered a record-tying appearance. "Again, we made a huge mistake and gave them the third goal".
- Syria: media, Israel strikes near Damascus
- New Nokia 9 And Nokia 8 May Be Announced In January
- How is the driving test changing?
- Destiny 2's Curse of Osiris Gets a New Launch Trailer
- Judge refuses to free four Catalan leaders as elections near
- Google Maps introduces two-wheeler mode in India
- Detroit Pistons at San Antonio Spurs Odds Preview 12/04/17
- Top of the chart stocks in today's market: Exxon Mobil Corporation (XOM)
- Russian Federation designates Radio Free Europe and Voice of America as 'foreign agents'
- Will continue to fight to save democracy: Sharad Yadav on RS disqualification