The barometer 30-scrip Sensitive Index (Sensex) of the BSE closed at 32,869.72 points - up 36.78 points or 0.11 per cent - from Friday's close.
On a closing basis, the wider Nifty50 of the National Stock Exchange (NSE) edged lower by 9.50 points or 0.09 per cent to 10,118.25 points.
"Markets ended with marginal losses on Tuesday after a bounce back from the lows of 10,069 curbed the losses".
On the NSE, 682 shares advanced, 1,072 declined, while 67 remained unchanged. Focus now shifts to RBI's monetary policy meeting after the upbeat GDP (gross domestic product) numbers for the September quarter failed to cheer investors.
However, buying in media, energy, banking and financials sectors capped the losses. The broader market depicted a mixed trend, with the BSE mid-cap ending up 0.41%, while small-cap index finished 0.03% down.
On the currency front, the rupee closed nearly flat at 64.38-39 against the U.S. dollar from its previous close at 64.37-38. "On the macro front upcoming RBI policy and Gujarat state election will be an influential factor for investors which is steering the market to consolidate", said Vinod Nair, head of research, Geojit Financial Services.
According to provisional data, foreign funds had bought shares worth Rs 306.11 crore on Friday.
On the other hand, Coal India (2.09%), Asian Paints (1.02%), Sun Pharmaceutical Industries (0.95%), Reliance Industries (0.92%), Maruti Suzuki India (0.91%), and NTPC (0.75%) were the major losers in the Sensex. Find us on Facebook too!
- France Star Warned He Must Leave Club For World Cup Place
- How is the driving test changing?
- China's budding coffee culture propels Starbucks, attracts rivals
- Leaked ASUS Zenfone 3 Screenshots Reveal Android Oreo Update
- Judge refuses to free four Catalan leaders as elections near
- Overwatch Gets Separate Currency For League Skins
- Syria: media, Israel strikes near Damascus
- Body of missing Port St. Lucie girl found in retention pond
- Detroit Pistons at San Antonio Spurs Odds Preview 12/04/17
- The Division's 1.8 Update Drops Tomorrow, Patch Notes Released