(NASDAQ:GOOGL), plans to dedicate more people to help weed out extremist content from the video sharing website. You Tube needs people to monitor and control violent extremism on its site.
In an interview with the British daily newspaper, The Daily Telegraph, Wojcicki said "bad actors" had used YouTube to "mislead, manipulate, harass or even harm" others.
The goal is to bring the total number of people across Google working to address content that might violate its policies to over 10,000 in 2018, she said.
About a month ago, reports first surfaced about freaky and exploitative videos that made use of popular children's characters and often abused tags in order to surface on YouTube's Kids app and slip through age restrictions filters.
YouTube along with Facebook, Google and Twitter have come under scrutiny over the availability of terrorist material and propaganda on their platforms. By training those algorithms to do the same for other types of videos, such as those questionable uploads that targeted children, the platform will be able to take them down a lot faster than it now can.
More than 150,000 videos of violent extremism have been removed for the site in the past six months, she added.
"Our teams also work closely with NCMEC (National Center for Missing and Exploited Children), the IWF (Internet Watch Foundation), and other child safety organisations around the world to report predatory behavior and accounts to the correct law enforcement agencies".
Following the furore over the plethora of unsuitable videos, YouTube announced it was to implement measures such as removing adverts from videos depicting family entertainment characters engaged in violent behaviour, and blocking all comments on videos targeted at minors if inappropriate user comments are uploaded.
Meanwhile, Google India announced that it would train around 2 million developers in India with the aim to help boost innovation.
In a collaboration with online education firm Pluralsight and educational organization Udacity, it would create technically-advanced workforce in India which is expected to match the pace the high speed of gloabl emerging market.
- Jose Mourinho provides team news ahead of CSKA Moscow clash
- Liverpool Draw Everton In FA Cup Third Round
- Nawaz, Maryam leave for London
- New Nokia 9 And Nokia 8 May Be Announced In January
- Gus Malzahn's reported deal is worth $49 million over seven years
- Body of missing Port St. Lucie girl found in retention pond
- Euro zone businesses had bumper November, sprinting to year-end - PMI
- Mourinho hails 'world best' De Gea as United beat Arsenal
- JuJu Smith-Schuster's illegal shot knocks Vontaze Burfict out of the game
- 'Death Stranding' Gameplay Trailer: Norman Reedus Attending Game Awards 2017