However, the report said Raiders owner Mark Davis doesn't really care whether Gruden wants to coach or not.
ESPN's Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen reported the Raiders will pursue Gruden, who won't be headed to Tampa Bay after the Buccaneers committed to Dirk Koetter for at least on more season.
After leading the Raiders to a 12-4 record last season, Del Rio and the Raiders were expected to challenge the New England Patriots for AFC supremacy, but have instead stumbled to the finish line and will finish either 6-10 or 7-9 after playing the Los Angeles Chargers on Sunday.
For those wondering, no, the Raiders have not fired current head coach Jack Del Rio.
Gruden was the Raiders coach from 1998-2001.
Being as Gruden hasn't coached in the National Football League since 2008, it's impossible to say with certainty.
Gruden hasn't coached since 2008 and there's a real, legitimate debate as to whether or not he's actually the elite coach some bill him as.
Gruden told ESPN that there is no news to report but, "I can't say I haven't taken any phone calls".
Gruden's name was connected often this year to the head job at the University of Tennessee, where fans have always been fixated on him.
Jon Gruden reacted with a chuckle when asked about a report Saturday night the Raiders would make a serious offer in hopes that he would return as head coach. I take a lot every year from coaches, some others.
Tennessee fans, you might want to sit down for this. His teams missed the playoffs in five of the 11 seasons he coached and after his first year in Tampa (where he won a Super Bowl), the Bucs fell short of expectations every campaign.
Regardless of whether Gruden his hired, the Raiders, should they part with offensive coordinator Todd Downing, are faced with giving Carr his fourth offensive coordinator in five seasons following Greg Olson in 2014, Musgrave in 2015-16 and Downing in 2017. "I'm here to help people".
But Gruden continues to insist that it is nothing more than talk, as there has been talk in other years about his possible return that didn't come to pass.
- ISIS claims responsibility for deadly attack at Cairo church
- Australian diplomat's tip a factor in FBI's Russian Federation probe
- Mondelez International (MDLZ) Stock Rating Upgraded by BidaskClub
- Berlin Creates 'Safe Zones' for Women at New Year's Celebrations
- 'Make America Gay Again.' Mike Pence Gets Trolled With Rainbow Banner
- Carnival (CCL) Releases FY18 Earnings Guidance
- Pakistan army, Nawaz Sharif likely to reach political deal
- Unstoppable Taylor powers on into semi-finals
- Did Vincent Herbert Get Laura Govan Pregnant? Tamar Spills the Tea
- Ukraine chess champion ready for praise and blame over…