India then knocked off the victory target in 20 overs to humiliate their hosts. He lost the toss, and the team couldn't perform well with the bat as the Indian spinners completely overshadowed them for a mere 118 runs. Their previous lowest score was 119 against England at Port Elizabeth in November 2009.
Chahal also lauded Dhoni's contribution from behind the wickets in making things easier for the spinners in the limited-over formats.
West Indies' Carl Hooper and Keith Arthurton had previously shared six wickets at Bloemfontein in 1999. The previous best hauls for an Indian spinner was Yuvraj Singh's 4 for 6 versus Namibia at Pietermaritzburg in 2003.
Chahal was the pick of the bowlers with five wickets, while Kuldeep took three.
Markram leads South Africa in just his third one-day worldwide. Du Plessis has been ruled out for the remaining series and T20Is due to a figure injury, while de Villiers will not be present for two more matches. However, it was the inability of his own spinners - Imran Tahir and Tabraiz Shamsi - to control the pace in the air that rendered them relatively ineffective when India began the chase. Yadav chipped in two wickets, while Japrit Bumrah claimed one. While the Indian pacers were on the money with their line and length, the Proteas' openers were more watchful and wary of losing wickets early on.
India got the breakthrough they wanted when Kumar, bowling from changed ends, induced a faint inside edge off Amla. India will be denied a win because 20 overs not bowled yet. Two long-hops were obediently hit by Quinton de Kock and Aiden Markram into the palms of the sole fielders positioned at deep square-leg.
That their half-trackers too are quite economical as compared to other spinners (with this length, the two concede 5.4 runs per over and take wickets at an average of 28.5, as compared to the corresponding overall statistics of 6.4 and 55) too is indicative of the threat they now pose with the ball.
The debutant played a crucial role and scored 25 runs off 45 balls.
- Johnny Sexton seals late win for Ireland in Paris
- Amber Rudd warns Brexiteers to back off ahead of crucial week
- Conservative Christian leads Costa Rica presidential vote, run-off likely
- Tom Brady wins third NFL MVP award, becomes oldest victor ever
- Ram Defends Super Bowl Ad, Says Martin Luther King Estate Approved it
- Had no doubt that we could save the Test - Mominul Haque
- Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan start for Arsenal v Everton
- Analysts Set EnLink Midstream LLC (ENLC) Target Price at $18.75
- Italy taking pictures: Suspect arrested, mayor urges locals to stay indoors
- Greek Cypriots to vote in runoff in hopes of peace deal