As nomination filing for Nagaland Assembly polls comes to an end and the scrutiny continues, it is important to note hoe the vigilant civil society keeps a track of their candidates representing them in the elections.
On Tuesday, Kuzholuzo Azo Nienu from the ruling Naga People's Front became the first to file his nomination papers. The Chief Electoral Officer Abhijit Sinha said authorities were taking time to compile a final, party-wise list owing to the last-minute rush.
The BJP has fielded candidates on 20 seats, the Congress on 19, the National Peoples Party (NPP) on 28, the JD (U) on 15, the Nationalist Congress Party on 6, the Aam Aadmi Party on 3, and the Lok Jan Party on 2.
A total of 231 candidates had filed their nomination papers in the 2013 polls.
Altogether candidates of nine political parties submitted their nomination papers besides Independents.
The last day for withdrawal of nomination papers is on February 12 while polling for the 60 Nagaland Assembly constituencies will be held on February 27.
Former Chief Ministers Salseng C. Marak and Donkupar Roy filed their nomination papers as nominee of the Congress and United Democratic Party.
Candidates can withdraw nominations till Monday.
"Just finished filing my nomination for the 27th February Nagaland Assembly election from 7th Peren Assembly constituency", Zeliang said on Twitter.
"This clarification is issued regarding the directive on January 30 pertaining to the call of the people for "Solution and not Election".
- McDaniels Agent Cut's Ties With Client After Criticizing Colts Decision
- Real life heroes star in Clint Eastwood French attack movie
- Russian Engineers Arrested For Using Nuclear Weapons Facility To Mine Cryptocurrency
- Rachel Brand, No. 3 US Justice Department official, stepping down amid turmoil
- How Apple's HomePod compares to the competition
- Cleveland Cavaliers Trade Six Players In Move Toward Younger Talent
- LL Bean eliminates its legendary lifetime returns policy
- Airstrikes kill 54 civilians in Syria's Eastern Ghouta
- What to watch tonight in PyeongChang: Figure skating team event begins
- Teen driver who livestreamed deadly crash sentenced to…