His vertical jump of 38½ inches also was better than expected.
The Jets might not be in position to take Barkley, and even if they find a way to sign free-agent quarterback Kirk Cousins, it might take too much draft capital to move up high enough to get Barkley and provide the kind of one-two infusion of talent for their offense.
Are we about to see another Penn State star become the first running back in more than two decades to go first overall? He's been nursing a hamstring injury since the Senior Bowl in late January.
He won the Paul Hornung Award as college football's most versatile player and left Penn State after his junior year just 89 yards shy of the program rushing record with 3,843 yards.
Other impressive sub-4.5 times were put in by San Diego State's Rashaad Penny (4.46), Arizona State's Kalen Ballage (4.46) and LSU's Derrius Guice.
His workout numbers match up favourably with one of the league's top backs, Ezekiel Elliott. That, however, came after a week of practice in which he struggled in pass protection and put the ball on the turf on a couple of occasions.
He'll have plenty of company.
On his first attempt, the 6-foot, 233 pounder ran a 4.41 40-yard dash. Already viewed by many as a borderline 1st rounder, his performance today will likely cause him to slip to the 2nd or possibly later, as teams rightfully question his athleticism and commitment. Patriots defensive tackle Alan Branch, who tips the scales at 350 pounds, edged out Brady by finishing in 5.07 seconds.
Alabama's Bo Scarbrough (4.52), Northwestern's Justin Jackson (4.52), Oregon's Royce Freeman (4.54), Georgia's Sony Michel (4.54) and Iowa's Akrum Wadley (4.54) all went under 4.55.
Bench press: 20 repetitions (225 pounds), not in top 15. Again, the best amongst all backs.
Jones said he hoped to run the 40-yard-dash in 4.4 seconds to demonstrate his speed.
After busts and periods of avoidance in the first-round of the draft, running backs are back in vogue, thanks to a crop of talented runners who boosted their teams into playoff contention after being selected early in the first round.
- One militant, 3 accomplices killed in Shopian: Army
- Michelle Wie bounces back from injury to lift Women's World Championship
- Boston Celtics ready for first test since All-Star break
- Swinging Mitchell Starc moves Australia one wicket from victory against South Africa
- Italy Heads to Polls With Centre-Right in Lead but Stalemate Likely
- China refrains from releasing annual military spending target
- Saudi Crown Prince to hold talks with Egypt's Sisi
- MWC 2018: Samsung Galaxy S9+ receives Best New Connected Device award
- "Black Panther" is Box-Office King for Third Straight Week
- Del Potro Stays Perfect Against Thiem, Meets Zverev In Acapulco SFs