Benjamin Glaze of Oklahoma, now 20, was 19 when he auditioned for Idol last October and revealed to judges before starting in on his song that he had never been kissed: "I've never been in a relationship".
"I was a tad bit uncomfortable", Glaze said in a phone interview with The New York Times. However, the "Fireworks" singer took things up a notch recently when she allegedly kissed another contestant, Benjamin Glaze.
Construction worker Trevor Holmes wowed judge Perry with his swoon-worthy audition earlier this week, leading the "I Kissed A Girl" singer to declare him "hot".
In the clip, Perry calls out to Glaze to "come here" after learning of his never-been-kissed status, and Glaze appears shocked, but walks up to the judges table to face Perry. "I know a lot of guys would be like, 'Heck yeah!' But for me, I was raised in a conservative family and I was uncomfortable immediately". "Am I the only one who was seriously uncomfortable about the Katy Perry kiss on #AmericanIdol?" wrote one Twitter user.
While he failed to make it to Hollywood in the audition, Glaze says the public attention he's received from the kiss has helped publicise his music and he's appreciative of the extra airtime.
Katy then beckoned him up to the panel, where she asked him to plant a kiss on her cheek.
Months later - and in the wake of movements like #MeToo - Glaze says he doesn't feel he was sexually harassed by Perry, and has rationalized the kiss by determining it didn't actually count.
Perry, Lionel Richie and Luke Bryan are judges, Ryan Seacrest is host and creative consultant.
Benjamin went on to tell the Times that he's at least grateful that the unscripted kiss got him a little more screen time. "So in that way, I'm glad she did it because it's a great opportunity to get my music out", he said.
In a recent report on the Inquisitr, Katy Perry was reportedly caught flirting with one of the contestants of American Idol, Trevor Holmes. "It was lip contact versus a romantic situation with someone you care about".
- Volusia slips to 44th, Flagler 14th in Florida health rankings
- Nicolas Cage finally gets his Superman shot from Teen Titans
- Lawsuit says Miley Cyrus stole 'We Can't Stop,' seeks $300 million
- FBI disciplinary office recommends firing former deputy director Andrew McCabe
- Safety Tyrann Mathieu released by Cardinals
- E-cigarettes breed more smokers than they stop
- Notre Dame blows out Hampton in first round of NIT
- Monster Hunter World Deviljho Release And Spring Event Update
- Besiktas 1 - Bayern Munich 3
- President Buhari, 4 Ministers In Dapchi As Part Of Yobe Visit