With that, she's off to explore a lost and ancient Japanese island to do the very thing from the film's title, dodging spikes that pop up out of the floor, leaping over pits full of skeletons, kicking bad guys in the teeth and solving elaborate puzzles.
Also wild is how redundant the movie feels since it takes so many plot points from games that already look like movies. Even though blocky and low-resolution initially, Lara Croft became a sex symbol, and after several successful games, Eidos Interactive partnered with Paramount Pictures for the 2001 blockbuster Lara Croft: Tomb Raider starring Angelina Jolie. The movie itself is another, more complicated, story, but this video game adaption is better than most with set pieces that are both fun and ridiculous (like a high-stakes escape room) that actually seem to approximate the experience of playing a video game. This was followed two tears later with the sequel, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider - The Cradle of Life. This time out, Lara Croft sets out on a unsafe journey to solve the mystery of her father's disappearance.
Asked if she felt empowered watching McDormand, Vikander says: "Of course, to see someone go up and honour all the women in our industry really means a lot".
More importantly, she shows her capacity to carry a film from start to finish, as this film has her in just about every frame, telling its story through her eyes.
There are many ways for a movie to go wrong, and "Tomb Raider" goes wrong in numerous most obvious: It has a generic story, bad writing, a miscast lead, the wrong director and no fun.
All the same, she stays busy: parachuting off the top of a waterfall and engaging in hand-to-hand combat with a man four times her size; scaling a cliff while bleeding profusely; and going up against all those automatic weapons, armed with nothing but a bow and arrow. Even with Alicia Vikander, she's still a traditionally attractive woman, and that's never gonna change, no matter the size of anyone's breasts. If the film is a success, it could help sales of the previous game and Lara Croft's upcoming outing.
Shadow of the Tomb Raider's announcement comes just days after the launch of the new film.
But we do stray slightly off the topic of Tomb Raider to discuss this year's Oscars. The most important part of an action film is the action!
Shadow of the Tomb Raider is out September 14 on PC, PS4, and Xbox One.
- Unilever Picks Rotterdam Over London for Headquarters
- Slovakia's prime minister offers to resign after journalist's killing
- Wilshere can be crucial but Hart faces battle, says England boss Southgate
- RJD Wins Araria, Jehanabad; BJP Retains Bhabua
- Developers Can Now Tap Google Maps for More Immersive Games
- Mattis in Kabul To Seek 'Political Reconciliation' between Taliban and Afghan Government
- $420 million up for grabs in Powerball drawing
- Maran brothers discharged in illegal telephone exchange case
- Pregnant blogger jailed for killing boyfriend in YouTube 'stunt' gone wrong
- European champions in Champions League quarterfinals draw