Now Alvin Gentry gets fined as well after losing to the Rockets.
New Orleans Pelicans coach Alvin Gentry was fined $15,000 for public criticism of officiating following Saturday's 107-101 loss to the Houston Rockets, the National Basketball Association announced Sunday afternoon.
Gentry's anger largely stemmed from a play that occurred late in the fourth quarter, when Rockets guard James Harden was fouled shooting a 3-pointer. The Pelicans chose to try and take advantage of Davis" recent form, and offered free beard shaves during the game against the Rockets, handing out "AD4MVP' shirts for anyone who took up the challenge.
"All we want is an equal opportunity to win the game", Gentry said, via ESPN's Stefano Fusaro. Not have a situation where we are guessing on the biggest play of the game, where they call a 3-point foul from the corner. "You can't guess on the fouls", Gentry said.
"You can't guess on plays when you've got teams playing for playoff spots". It's the first time Gentry has publicly lashed out at referees in a news conference setting since arriving in New Orleans, typically stopping short of saying anything due to NBA's strict policy of fining criticism of their referees. Detroit Pistons coach Stan Van Gundy also was livid after his team's 100-87 loss to the Portland Trail Blazers. I walked away from him so I wouldn't get a technical. "But when you can get away with playing like that and get screwed that badly by the officials, your defense is going to be pretty good". He never gets a call. Why? "And you know why?"
Gentry said he wouldn't have been as angry if Houston and other teams didn't consistently get away with holding Pelicans All-Star forward Anthony Davis as he tries to move to the basket without the ball after setting screens.
Harden didn't seem to agree with Gentry's assessment of the play after the game.
But at the same time, he has been around long enough to understand that referees don't play or coach the games.
On Friday, Clippers coach Doc Rivers was fined $15,000 for comments a day earlier about the officiating in a loss to the Rockets.
"I'm just not even thinking about it", Rozier said. Following his rant, Gentry was well aware of the inevitable fine coming his way.
The Pelicans (39-30) now hold the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference, 1.5 games ahead of the Clippers.
- UMBC fans keep the spirit going through second round loss
- Prince Harry Won't Sign A Prenup Ahead Of The Royal Wedding
- Shah Rukh Khan revists Darr, tells Zero co-star 'I love you kkkKatrina!'
- John Oliver made Mike Pence's rabbit gay in competing children's book
- Claire's Accessories files for bankruptcy in the US
- Child reported missing found in life-threatening condition
- The UK, US And Russia's Election
- Renee Zellweger Stars as Judy Garland in 'Judy'
- Sea of Thieves working on "super cool" Asian-style cosmetics
- Ukrainian Police Block Access to Russian Embassies and Consulates During Election