Former FBI Director James Comey explained his premise that Hillary Clinton would win the 20-16 presidential election proved to be a factor in starting a question to her mails, according to part of an ABC interview broadcast Saturday.
Even though Federal Bureau of Investigation decided not to refer rsquo Clinton & case for prosecution, Democrats explained Comey & rsquo; s announcement damaged her with Republicans directly ahead of the election plus he faced complaints his moves were politically determined.
He was further pressed on whether his decision was influenced by his assumption that Clinton was going to win the 2016 presidential election.
"I hope not", Comey said during the interview.
"I don't remember consciously thinking about that", Comey said, "but it must have been".
His comments echoed a quote from his memoir, "A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies and Leadership" in which he said it was "entirely possible" his concerns over Clinton's legitimacy "bore greater weight than it would have if the election appeared closer or if Donald Trump were ahead in all polls". I'm sure that it was a factor.
Comey added that at the Federal Bureau of Investigation, he could never consider whose political fortunes would be affected by a decision. "We're just another player in the tribal battle".
Comey, who was sacked by Republican President Donald Trump last May, is doing a series of media interviews that coincide with the release next week of his book, "A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies and Leadership".
On Sunday, Trump appeared to respond to Comey's comments, tweeting that the former Federal Bureau of Investigation director was a "slimeball" for "making decisions based on the fact that he thought she was going to win, and he wanted a job".
Many social media users however took a dim view of Comey's revelations and of his book as a whole.
Trump had responded to the book, saying Comey "should be prosecuted". Trump fired Comey in May, leading to Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein to announce the appointment of special counsel Robert Mueller.
- Smoky smell in North Texas coming from Oklahoma wildfires
- Man arrested for drug, gun possession
- Irish rugby union revokes contracts of players acquitted of rape
- Child's body found in California river where family vanished
- Narendra Modi's first visit to Bijapur: First health centre, internet scheme inaugurated
- 'Completely accomplished': United States vice-president touts success of Syria airstrikes
- Israeli official justifies US-led strikes on Syria
- New Jersey Governor Declares April 14 'Bon Jovi Day' in Garden State
- Cohen Again Denies He Made Prague Visit During Trump Campaign
- Great Chong Wei, incredible win: Najib