Even if Nixon's long-shot campaign to defeat Cuomo in the Democratic primary were to succeed, the governor's name would nearly certainly still be on the ballot in November.
Nixon won't yet commit to remaining on the WFP line for the general election.
The formal nomination to put Nixon and Williams on the ballot will come next month. Cuomo soon followed to say he too would not seek the party's nod.
But Lipton accused the guv of threatening retaliation against unions affiliated with Nixon endorsers.
"Big donors and powerful political insiders have held too much power in Albany for too long", Lipton said in a statement.
Nixon is mounting a progressive challenge against Cuomo.
New York's Democratic Primary is in September.
Cuomo campaign spokeswoman Abbey Fashouer said the governor's "record of progressive accomplishment is unmatched". "Let me be very clear: this is not only a full-blown attack on democracy, it's an attack on the 20,000 members that we represent".
Labor unions allied with Cuomo said Friday they would withdraw from the Working Families Party.
As governor, Cynthia would fight for a progressive agenda in NY by supporting policies to provide health care for all, legalize marijuana, and take corporate money out of politics.
- Cops: Murderer on the Run Killed Lookalike to Steal ID
- United States launches 'precision srikes' on Syria as UK, France join in
- Smoky smell in North Texas coming from Oklahoma wildfires
- Assumption Clinton Would Win A Factor In Email Probe — Former FBI Head
- 'Completely accomplished': United States vice-president touts success of Syria airstrikes
- Irish rugby union revokes contracts of players acquitted of rape
- Klopp on Bournemouth win, Salah's goals and Trent's development
- Daniel Ricciardo surprised to take part in Chinese GP qualifying
- Nicki Minaj Tame Her Gang After Quavo Apologize To Her
- Trump's national security team meets on Syria