"A Higher Loyalty" won't be formally released until next week, but explosive details have already spilled out into the media. Reuters has obtained a copy. According to those reports, Comey writes that Trump is "unethical and untethered to the truth" and compares his presidency to a "forest fire".
The president slammed Comey in two lengthy tweets Friday morning, calling him "a proven LEAKER & LIAR" and "a weak and untruthful slime ball".
He said Comey threw former attorney general Loretta Lynch "under the bus", an allusion to Comey's having criticized Lynch in the memoir for suggesting that he refer to an investigation into Clinton's use of a private email server while secretary of state as only a "matter".
Trump recently accused Comey of leaking classified information, saying he should be prosecuted for lying to Congress under oath. "It was smaller than mine, but did not seem unusually so", Comey reportedly wrote in his book, describing the moment he first met the president a year ago. Ryan, asked whether Comey was a man of integrity, said, "As far as I know" but added that he did not know him well.
- During the Trump Tower intelligence briefing, Comey writes, he asked to talk privately to the president-elect about the allegations in a dossier that Trump had been with prostitutes in a Moscow hotel in 2013 and that the Russians had filmed the episode.
"I had developed great respect for him as a leader and a person", Comey writes at one point.
Comey's firing in May led to the appointment of Robert Mueller as special counsel in charge of investigating possible links between Trump's campaign and Russians who sought to influence the 2016 election with email hacks and fake news.
In a Friday tweet, Trump claimed without evidence that "McCabe was totally controlled by Comey - McCabe is Comey! He said, 'If there's even a 1% chance that my wife thinks that's true, that's awful.' And I remember thinking, 'How could your wife think there's a 1% chance that you were with prostitutes peeing on each other in Moscow?'" he said. In the clip, Comey characterizes the situation as surreal.
Comey describes Trump as having been obsessed with the portion dealing with prostitutes in the infamous dossier compiled by British former intelligence officer Christopher Steele, raising it at least four times with the Federal Bureau of Investigation director.
The allegations left Trump fuming. I paused, again. "You will always get honesty from me", I said.
In Sunday's tweets, Trump cited Comey's admission about his decision-making and asserted, confusingly, that he handled the investigation how he did because he wanted a job, presumably in the Clinton administration. "And I remember thinking, 'How could your wife think there's a 1 per cent chance you were with prostitutes peeing on each other in Moscow?' I'm a flawed human being, but there's literally zero chance that my wife would think that was true".
- The Answer Trump Needs in Syria
- United Kingdom action in Syria nears as PM wins Cabinet approval
- Ramirez homers in victorious return to Red Sox lineup
- RBC Heritage: Ian Poulter grabs Round 3 lead
- Max Verstappen admits Sebastian Vettel collision was his fault
- Philadelphia Eagles' Daryl Worley arrested, report says; team releases statement
- Salisbury attack: Russian Federation claims chemical weapons watchdog manipulated findings
- Has silence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi become deafening?
- WPP Chief Executive Martin Sorrell Resigns After Probe
- Environmental advocate dies after setting himself on fire in NYC park