More than 500 firefighters have been working in "very high temperatures" to tackle a wildfire which has threatened homes on the southwestern outskirts of Sydney.
Conditions eased overnight allowing crews to complete critical back burning while they had the opportunity.
"And whilst the threat level has been downgraded to advice. there is still a lot of fire around".
Late yesterday, the NSW Rural Fire Service (RFS) said the fire had burnt about 2,430 hectares around Holsworthy and Menai, and some properties had been damaged.
The blaze was downgraded from emergency level to watch and act about 5.30pm on Sunday as conditions began to ease.
"Residents around that area should monitor the situation, take advice from firefighters in the area and know what they'll do if fire threatens", he said.
More than 70 fire appliances were stationed along roads dividing bushland from homes while helicopters were dumping water on the fire from above, SBS reported.
RFS spokesman Greg Allan said some properties had not escaped unscathed.
"We have had reports of impact on properties in west Menai and Barden Ridge but our crews at the moment are exclusively focused on fighting the fire", he told AAP.
"How dare anyone in society think they can deliberately light a fire, endanger all these men and women - the vast majority who are volunteers - putting their lives on the line to try and bring these fires under control and, in turn, put so many members of the community (at risk)", the commissioner said.
"It was pretty scary", he told AAP when finally opening a beer, thankful his house came with sprinklers on the roof.
New South Wales fire crews spent a second long night taking advantage of cooler conditions to back burn and protect homes in the Holsworthy area.
Waterbombers were on the scene throughout the afternoon, however windy conditions are hampering firefighters's efforts.
"Still quite a hard day ahead (on Monday)", he told the Nine Network.
Residents in Voyager Point, Pleasure Point, Sandy Point, Alfords Point, Barden Ridge, Illawong, Menai and Bangor were told to be prepared to activate their bushfire survival plans should conditions change.
The Transport Management Centre said Heathcote Road remained closed between New Illawarra Road and Macarthur Drive, and there was no forecast for when the road would be reopened.
- Brokerages Anticipate ICICI Bank (IBN) Will Announce Earnings of $0.08 Per Share
- Last minute tax tips before Tuesday's filing deadline
- IPL 2018: Prasidh Krisha to replace injured Kamlesh Nagarkoti
- NASA's TESS to launch on Monday to hunt planets
- Nine-year-old girl raped in Surat, body found with 86 injuries
- Pope John (5) at Randolph (10) - Boys Lacrosse
- Palace upend Brighton, move six points clear of relegation
- Strikes on Syria did not hit areas near Russian bases: Moscow
- Callum Hawkins collapses as Robbie Simpson bags marathon bronze
- 'Rampage' Stomps Past 'A Quiet Place' for $34.5 Million Box Office Win