The striker has been in fine form for Dortmund since joining on loan from Chelsea in the January transfer window; he failed to break into the side on a regular basis at Stamford Bridge.
The striker was stretchered off with an ankle injury during Sunday's 2-0 loss in the Ruhr valley derby to Schalke.
Michy Batshuayi was on the receiving end of a tackle that is nearly certain to rule him out of the World Cup in today's Revierderby between Schalke and Borussia Dortmund. He is likely to miss the remainder of the season.
"Participation with the Belgian national team at the World Cup in Russian Federation remains in the realms of possibility. Get well soon, Michy!"
"Thank you all the awesome amount of love I received since yesterday".
Chelsea signed Batshuayi from Marseille in the summer of 2016 - he scored 19 goals in 53 games for the club before being sent to Dortmund on loan. Wishing my teammates the best for the final days.
Belgium get their World Cup campaign under way against Panama on June 18, going on to face Tunisia and England in the group stage in Russian Federation.
Speaking immediately after the game, Dortmund coach Peter Stöger said: 'We hope it's not too serious, but we'll have to wait for an exact diagnosis'.
The 24-year-old appeared in half of Belgium's World Cup qualifiers, scoring once in two starts and three substitute appearances.
- Shark Attack Near Gracetown
- Yankees (6-7) at Tigers (4-8)
- Bangladesh and United Nations agree on voluntary return for Rohingya refugees
- Multiple Flash Flood Warnings issued
- Russia rebukes US missile strike on Syria
- Jose Mourinho Slams Manchester United As They Hand Title To Manchester City
- JIT formed to probe firing incidents at SC judge's house
- Inmates Killed After Fight Breaks Out at Maximum Security Prison
- Sunday marks five years since Boston Marathon bombing
- Comey takes a swipe at Trump in plug for new book