What makes his feat more commendable is that the farmer's son from Khandra village near Panipat never had a formal coach while growing up.
Interestingly, Neeraj's worst throw was at 83.48m which was still higher than the best shot of silver medal victor Hamish Peacock from Australia, i.e. 82.59m.
It was his stage, and, Neeraj Chopra turned the key performer, his monster opener of 85.50m killing the rest of the field at one go. He becomes the only fifth player in athletics to win a gold medal at CWG after after Milkha Singh, Krishna Poonia, Women's 4x400 relay & Vikas Gowda.
India have got off to a fantastic start on Day 11 of Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games. And soon a rush of medal was witnessed in the men's circuit with Gaurav Solanki bagging the gold medal in 52 kg men's bout via split decision of 4-1 against Northern Ireland's Brendan Irvine.
His last attempt is a no-throw and he finished with a best of 86.47 meters.This is season's best throw.
The Haryana lad shot to fame with his record-breaking throw in 2016 IAAF World U20 Championships (Poland).
Neeraj, a gold-medallist at the Asian Championships a year ago, simply destroyed the competition with his very first attempt on Sunday that was 85.50m. He consistently crossed the 82m mark in the final, fouling two attempts in all.
"I tried to be natural because I was completely confident in how I've prepared myself".
Charles Da'Vall Grice of England beat Johnson to the fourth position by a fraction of a second with a time of 3:37.43. In the process, he bettered the earlier 23-year-old national record of 3:38.00 set by Bahadur Prasd in 1995. Cameroon's Marcel Mayack II produced a personal best of 16.80m to put the Indian out of medal contention.
Neeraj is getting a pat on his back from all across the globe for clinching gold in the CWG debut as well as taking place for himself among the elite Indian athletes who won a gold medal.
- Salisbury attack: Russian Federation claims chemical weapons watchdog manipulated findings
- Man City wins Premier League after United loses to West Brom
- Foxx responds to Speaker Ryan's Retirement announcement
- Knicks rumors: David Blatt could be next head coach
- EPS for GlaxoSmithKline plc (GSK) Expected At $0.71 as of April, 25
- Russia accuses UK of staging 'fake' chemical attack in Syria
- Trump attorney Michael Cohen says he's "not worried" by Federal Bureau of Investigation raids
- Has silence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi become deafening?
- U.S. would not attack Syria over gas attack allegations: Syrian lawmaker
- Former first lady Barbara Bush in failing health