What makes his feat more commendable is that the farmer's son from Khandra village near Panipat never had a formal coach while growing up.
Interestingly, Neeraj's worst throw was at 83.48m which was still higher than the best shot of silver medal victor Hamish Peacock from Australia, i.e. 82.59m.
It was his stage, and, Neeraj Chopra turned the key performer, his monster opener of 85.50m killing the rest of the field at one go. He becomes the only fifth player in athletics to win a gold medal at CWG after after Milkha Singh, Krishna Poonia, Women's 4x400 relay & Vikas Gowda.
India have got off to a fantastic start on Day 11 of Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games. And soon a rush of medal was witnessed in the men's circuit with Gaurav Solanki bagging the gold medal in 52 kg men's bout via split decision of 4-1 against Northern Ireland's Brendan Irvine.
His last attempt is a no-throw and he finished with a best of 86.47 meters.This is season's best throw.
The Haryana lad shot to fame with his record-breaking throw in 2016 IAAF World U20 Championships (Poland).
Neeraj, a gold-medallist at the Asian Championships a year ago, simply destroyed the competition with his very first attempt on Sunday that was 85.50m. He consistently crossed the 82m mark in the final, fouling two attempts in all.
"I tried to be natural because I was completely confident in how I've prepared myself".
Charles Da'Vall Grice of England beat Johnson to the fourth position by a fraction of a second with a time of 3:37.43. In the process, he bettered the earlier 23-year-old national record of 3:38.00 set by Bahadur Prasd in 1995. Cameroon's Marcel Mayack II produced a personal best of 16.80m to put the Indian out of medal contention.
Neeraj is getting a pat on his back from all across the globe for clinching gold in the CWG debut as well as taking place for himself among the elite Indian athletes who won a gold medal.
- The Answer Trump Needs in Syria
- Trump calls for prosecuting 'untruthful slime ball' ex-FBI chief Comey
- U.S. would not attack Syria over gas attack allegations: Syrian lawmaker
- No matter how influential Unnao accused is, he won't be spared: Yogi
- Malaga 1 Real Madrid 2: Isco downs struggling former side
- Kathua rape case: Mehbooba Mufti accepts resignation of BJP ministers
- President Trump says military strike in Syria underway
- Kim meets Chinese envoy
- Environmental advocate dies after setting himself on fire in NYC park
- Knicks rumors: David Blatt could be next head coach