Crews knocked down fire from the exterior before entering the house.
The fire started in the basement, Doyle said.
An elderly man has died following a fire at his home in Lawrence County Saturday afternoon.
Officials received the call at around 1 p.m., and responding firefighters saw smoke coming from the house as they arrived on the scene.
No occupants were found upon the initial search. Fire damage was contained to the rear of the structure's main floor and deck, while heavy smoke damage affected the rest of the structure. The man's wife was found to have been visiting with her adult daughter. Two people are displaced and being assisted by the Red Cross.
"The exact cause of the fire and manner of death is now undetermined and is under active investigation", Rutledge said.
The name of the victim has not been released.
- British-French join hands in operation against Syria's chemical weapons
- Mauricio Pochettino concedes Tottenham were off the pace against Manchester City
- Injured Broncos cheered by Stanley Cup visit to their hospital bedsides
- 'Rampage' Stomps Past 'A Quiet Place' for $34.5 Million Box Office Win
- Rob Gronkowski Skipping Start of Offseason Program, Could Still Retire
- Manchester City clinches 2017-18 Premier League title
- Boston Celtics vs. Milwaukee Bucks - 4/17/18 NBA Pick, Odds, and Prediction
- NBA Playoffs Game 1 on ABC
- Pope John (5) at Randolph (10) - Boys Lacrosse
- NASA's TESS to launch on Monday to hunt planets