The battle was close between loud, clumsy aliens and huge, loud monsters at the box office, but those big boys took home the crown with the Bally-Midway video game adaptation Rampage topping A Quiet Place this weekend. That was still behind expectations, however.
Rampage had a big first weekend domestically, but as EW notes, it's first-weekend haul is on the low side of industry projections, which had it making in the $35 million-$40 million. The movie had a reported budget of $120 million, so it's already doing well, it seems. Rampage's new date meant that it debuted only two weeks after Steven Spielberg's Ready Player One, likewise from Warner Bros. Ready Player One remains a force overseas, where it took in $33.8 million for a foreign cume of $360.2 million and global total of $474.8 million.
Johnson in a plot perhaps better seen than described: He plays a primatologist who befriends an albino gorilla who grows to enormous size after a rogue experiment and who then teams with Johnson to stop invading monsters.
"A Quiet Place" earned a solid second place finish putting its total domestic earnings to $99.6 million (it was made for $17 million). Although Variety and Forbes initially reported that A Quiet Place was the victor, it turns out that Rampage actually unseated last week's champ (perhaps those outlets should wait until actually estimates are released next week, before they announce their "favorite" as the big winner).
That's despite new horror competition from Blumhouse's Truth Or Dare, which looked to target more of a teen audience.
The supernatural thriller - hitting theaters on Friday the 13th - revolves around a group of spring breakers who play an innocent game of truth or dare that turns deadly. This weekend's almost $33 million gorss pushes its 10-day total of $100 million against a $17 million budget.
- Boston Celtics vs. Milwaukee Bucks - 4/17/18 NBA Pick, Odds, and Prediction
- Extra glass of wine, beer takes 30 minutes off your life
- Faulty Apple Watch Series 2 battery? Apple will fix it for free
- 35-year-old pregnant woman in Uttar Pradesh gangraped by 4
- Strikes on Syria did not hit areas near Russian bases: Moscow
- Carrie Underwood Posts First Close-Up Selfie Since Her Accident
- United States blames Syria government for gas attack, mulls aggressive strike
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath must be sacked for 'shielding' rape accused: Congress
- What to expect from severe weather Sunday in SC
- Jason Roy delivers match-winning innings for Delhi Daredevils