In the third inning, Colon struck out Marwin Gonzalez and Derek Fisher to keep his flawless game bid alive.
Colon threw 96 pitches, 66 for strikes.
Colon took a flawless game into the eighth inning before doling out a walk and then allowing a double to Josh Reddick.
Update (10:04 PM ET): The ideal game bid is over, but the no-hit bid is still alive.
That would prove to be the only hit Verlander would allow through eight innings. Not that it matters.
Rangers starter Bartolo Colon has seen 18 Astros come to the plate and has sent all 18 of them back to the dugout unhappy. He has struck out seven batters in the process.
BC-BBA-Rangers-Colon-Perfect Game Alert, 2nd Ld-Writethru, 154Colon working on no-hitter in 8th for Rangers vs AstrosAP Photo TXMW104Eds: APNewsNow.
Texas leads 1-0 on a home run by Robinson Chirinos off Astros ace Justin Verlander in the third, the only hit of the game. The Astros were last victims of a no-hitter when the Giants' Matt Cain threw a flawless game on June 13, 2012.
Nolan Ryan (44 years, 90 days) is the oldest player to throw a no-hitter and Randy Johnson (40 years, 252 days) is the oldest player to throw a flawless game.
- BJP's Kuldeep Singh Sengar sent to 7-day CBI custody
- Zuckerberg flubs details of Facebook privacy commitments
- Russian Federation calls Syrian 'chemical attack' staged
- Commonwealth Games: England stun Australia to take last-gasp netball gold
- John Cena and Nikki Bella split after 6 years
- Australia bushfire threatens Sydney suburbs homes
- #blackout Bevin: Governor's words prompting another teacher protest
- PM Modi presents a pair of slippers to a tribal woman
- Shohei Ohtani: Week Two
- Manchester United star Paul Pogba shows off Dragon Ball Z-inspired hairstyle