Guido Winkmann, the referee in the Bundesliga relegation battle between Mainz and Freiburg at the Opel Arena, had blown for the interval when he was alerted by the VAR to a handball in the Freiburg area.
Freiburg's players had to be summoned from the dressing room and back onto the pitch to allow the home side to take their penalty.
"We're not going out", said Streich as he led his confused players back into the changing room.
De Blasis added a lucky second as his shot rolled over the line after hitting the inside of the post, with Schwolow out of his goal having passed the ball straight to Mainz midfielder Robin Quaison. The Mainz forward then picked out his teammate De Blasis who slotted home - luckily off the post.
Protests also delayed the initial kickoff, and the whole game took place to the sound of shrill whistles as supporters made their displeasure known with the Bundesliga.
The game kicked off and, for 45 minutes, not a great deal happened.
It was so loud that Mainz coach Sandro Schwarz even said afterwards that it was distracting, while VAR project leader Lutz Michael Fröhlich even suggested the noise had hampered the referee's ability to hear the video assistant on the crucial penalty call.
After finally getting their half-time break, the players were forced to wait again for the second half after Mainz fans threw hundreds of rolls of toilet paper onto the pitch in protest against Monday night games.
- Mariah Carey's Former Manager Sues Singer Over Alleged Civil Rights Act Violations
- EPA chief's $43000 secure phone found to break spending laws
- TV presenter Ant fined and banned from driving
- Donovan Mitchell uncertain for Game 2 with 'left foot contusion'
- US tells watchdog Russia 'may have tampered' with Douma attack site
- Comey's disdain for Trump has the simplest of explanations: Morality
- Weather Forecast: Wet and cool to start the week
- Video shows police officer being body slammed in Surfers Paradise
- Ravens interested in Bryant
- Binghamton freshman fatally stabbed, search on for suspect, officials say