This is first time in 102 years that a non-classical or jazz work has won the award-it's also certainly the first time a hip-hop artist has received the prestigious accolade. He described the prize as an "incredible honor" and said he was proud of the work "we all did at The Daily Progress". This year's music jurors were: violinist Regina Carter; Paul Cremo, a director at The Metropolitan Opera; Farah Jasmine Griffin, a professor of English, comparative literature and African-American studies at Columbia University; David Hadju, music critic for The Nation; and David Lang, a composer.
Reuters won two Pulitzer Prizes on Monday, one for exposing the methods of police killing squads in Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte's war on drugs, and one for feature photography documenting the Rohingya migrant crisis between Myanmar and Bangladesh.
The New York Times and New Yorker were jointly awarded the Pulitzer prize for public service on Monday for investigating accusations of sexual harassment and assault made against one of the most powerful men in Hollywood, Harvey Weinstein.
Since the Times and New Yorker articles last October, more than 100 women have publicly accused the producer of misconduct ranging from sexual harassment to rape, sparking the #MeToo movement that has gone global.
"The series of investigations from the Philippines demonstrated how police in the president's "drug war" have killed with impunity and consistently been shielded from prosecution", Adler said.
The stories' impact spread beyond Weinstein to allegations against other powerful men in entertainment, politics and elsewhere, toppling such figures as "Today" show host Matt Lauer, actor Kevin Spacey, newsman Charlie Rose and Sen.
The winners of the Pulitzer Prizes in journalism and the arts are set to be announced in New York City.
The Pulitzer Prizes recognize the best journalism of 2017 in newspapers, magazines and websites. The paper deployed more than four dozen reporters and photographers for an intense dive into the drug's toll over one week.
Prizes were also awarded for fiction, nonfiction, drama, history, biography, poetry and music.
- More West Sussex children get top primary school choices
- WaPo: Trump hasn't signed off on Russian Federation sanctions Haley announced
- Several cases of E. coli illness in Montana linked to romaine lettuce
- British Prime Minister May on military strike against Syria
- Mo Salah: Give me team glory over personal accolades any day
- Pete Lau shares camera samples from OnePlus 6
- Manchester United v West Brom - story of the match
- Woolworths shuts doors across the country due to IT outage
- Barbara Bush in great spirits and feisty, source says
- Bank of America says it feels no pressure to raise depositor rates