Gov. Eric Greitens' attorneys have asked a Cole County judge to issue a restraining order blocking Attorney General Josh Hawley from investigating the governor.
Hawley indicated that the legal deadline is fast approaching to charge Greitens with a crime of tampering with computer data.
In 2016, the Associated Press reported that donors to The Mission Continues were receiving fundraising pitches from the governor's campaign.
Greitens' lawyers do not think Hawley can be counted on to be impartial in an investigation of the governor.
The petition also seeks the appointment of a special prosecutor for conducting any investigation into the governor's office.
A spokeswoman for Gardner said St. Louis prosecutors met with officials from the attorney general's office Monday and are "reviewing the evidence" related to The Mission Continues donor list. Greitens has admitted to the affair but denied criminal wrongdoing.
April 2017: Greitens agrees to pay a small fine the Missouri Ethics Commission for failing to report that his gubernatorial campaign had, in fact, received the donor list of The Mission Continues in 2015.
Both House Speaker Todd Richardson, R-Poplar Bluff, and Senate President Pro-tem Ron Richard, R-Joplin, say it's time for Greitens to step down.
"The Mission Continues did not provide, nor authorize the use of, our donors' information to any persons or groups for political/campaign purposes", the group said in a statement. AG Hawley's public statements demonstrate that he understands that by calling for Gov. Greitens to resign, he has predetermined the guilt of his own investigative target and his investigation now is clearly compromised.
"The attorney general's office does not have criminal jurisdiction, but it does have jurisdiction over charitable activities", the spokeswoman, Mary Compton, said.
A St. Louis grand jury in February indicted the governor on a single invasion of privacy charge. Several lawmakers, including Republicans, have called for his resignation since a special legislative committee's report last week cited allegations of unwanted sexual aggression against the woman.
- Supreme Court ruling in Justice Loya case 'exposed' Congress: Yogi Adityanath
- Fraternity's racist, anti-semitic, & homophobic initiation ritual caught on video
- Serious Sam 4: Planet Badass Announced, Full Reveal Expected at E3 2018
- 'No white man will decide my destiny': Malema is ready for AfriForum
- Salah models new Liverpool jersey for next season
- Tottenham striker Harry Kane responds to backlash following successful goal appeal
- Brie Bella: 'Always Love John Cena Like a Brother' After Nikki's Breakup
- Queen Elizabeth II puts forward Prince Charles as next head of Commonwealth
- India informed Pakistan about surgical strike before media
- Amazon Echo Owners Can Now Control Call of Duty: WWII With Alexa