Some drivers agreed with decision to stop the race and some did not.
Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing's Graham Rahal also chimed in, coming to Hinchcliffe's defense.
"Tim (Cindric, Team Penske president and Newgarden's race strategist) was telling me when I came in what the lap time was", Newgarden said. "You nearly have a favorite sometimes with the Firestones, but they held up well". Never the less I made good progress on the short stint and I made up a few positions. Power was surprised that race officials started it in the first place, saying he "can't believe they went green" with that much standing water on the track. Through three races, the top five drivers in the standings are from five different teams, with Rossi leading Newgarden by 22 points Next race: IndyCar Grand Prix, May 12, Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Indianapolis, Indiana.
Andretti Autosport's Patricio O'Ward led every lap in wet and tricky conditions to complete a weekend sweep of the Indy Lights presented by Cooper Tires doubleheader.
Josef Newgarden is still up front after starting on the pole followed by Sebastien Bourdais and Ryan Hunter-Reay.
Following a 37-minute delay, engines were restarted and the field completed four laps under caution behind the pace auto before they were ordered into the pit lane once more. Scott inherited the lead on Lap 21 when Andres Gutierrez (Team Pelfrey) went off course.
It's a long way from the days when American open-wheel racers like A.J. Foyt reigned over the sport, but it's a nice step for American drivers in a series that's been dominated in recent years by global stars like four-time series champion Dario Franchitti (Scotland) and three-time champ Scott Dixon (New Zealand) - not to mention Newgarden's fellow Team Penske drivers Will Power (Australia) and Helio Castroneves (Brazil), who is now running part-time in IndyCar. His vehicle was unfixable.
"It was just a really hard situation to be put in". The conditions were just so bad. It's more advantageous for us to get it in, but I didn't want to do that. It shows the speed of the vehicle, it shows the work that everyone at Team Penske has put in, but when you have weather it's even better.
"So hopefully, that brings us a little good luck tomorrow and we will try and finish this thing off right".
"I was calling for us not to run and I was in the easiest situation", Newgarden said.
"I always maintained that I knew at some point in my career it would happen", he quipped to NBCSN's Kevin Lee". Yeah, its hard to see, but at the same time it's just a dumb move.
- $45.88 Million in Sales Expected for Hudson Technologies, Inc. (HDSN) This Quarter
- Keys, Stephens move United States of America into second straight Fed Cup final
- 'Nothing suspicious' about DJ Avicii's death, autopsies reportedly show
- Icardi: "Dobbiamo continuare bene, Lazio e Roma non molleranno"
- Xiaomi Mi 6X Retail Box And Final Renders Leaked
- Boston Celtics: 4 interesting takeaways from near comeback in Game 4
- Neymar must join Real Madrid to become the best - Rivaldo
- Napoli matchwinner Koulibaly: We proved ourselves at Juventus
- Valve Acquires The Creators Of Indie Game 'Firewatch'
- What I think about Mo Salah at Liverpool FC — AS Roma star