Djokovic, a 12-time Grand Slam champion, has failed to reach the last eight in any of his five tournament appearances since making his return from an elbow injury. He was then broken while trailing 4-3, allowing the Slovak to serve out for the victory.
The 36-year-old feels grateful for being able to play these opponents: 'When you face Rafa Nadal, Roger Federer or Novak Djokovic it's always an opportunity.
BC-TEN-Barcelona Open, 131 Djokovic loses to 140th-ranked Klizan in 2nd round in SpainAP Photo MF111, MF118, MF117, MF109, MF110, MF107, MF106, MF114, MF115Eds: APNewsNow.
Djokovic is the highest seeded tennis player to have crashed out of the tournament so far, with Grigor Dimitrov (2), Dominic Thiem (3) and David Goffin (4) still waxing strong.
Fatigue, and pain in his troublesome right wrist, appeared to prompt the withdrawal from Japans world number 22, who told reporters after the match: "I started feeling discomfort again during the first set and I did not want to take any risks". He has won 32 of his last 33 matches on the surface, including 15 straight.
Nadal is going for his 11th Barcelona title this week and the top seed looked ominously comfortable against Carballes Baena.
10 David Goffin survived a scare against Spaniard Marcel Granollers, after fighting back from 5-1 down in the second set, to win his second round tie 4-6, 7-6 (2), 6-2.
- A new map of the milky way contains over a billion stars
- Officer who arrested Toronto van attack suspect commended for actions
- (MSFT) is Walter & Keenan Financial Consulting Co. MI ADV's 2nd Largest Position
- Lexus Shows Confidence With First Ever ES F Sport Version
- Killing of priests attempt to stoke religious war ―Buhari
- Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMD)
- $496m Withdrawal: Tension As Hon. Chinda Moves for Buhari's Impeachment
- At least 10 dead due to oil well fire
- Cowboys' David Irving being investigated by Frisco PD
- Singapore: Inuka, the first ever polar bear born in the tropics, dies