A federal judge in Brooklyn agreed Tuesday to release Allison Mack on $5 million bond and place her under home detention in California. Mack will be electronically monitored while at her parents' home.
Mack is reported to have been involved with supplying slaves to 57-year-old Keith Raniere, the leader of an American self-help "sex cult" organisation called NXIVM. They said that Mack, who has pleaded not guilty, played a major role in the group.
In the YouTube video titled Allison Mack Q & A - You Asked, I Answered, posted on 6 October, 2013, the now-35-year-old is apparently seen sitting in an overgrown backyard as she appears to answer questions put on screen to jazz music.
Mack was reportedly a "recruiter" for the cult's founder, Keith Raniere. Raniere is charged with sex trafficking, sex trafficking conspiracy, and forced labor conspiracy.
Upon joining, members, who numbered as many as 50, were required to provide information about family and friends, nude photographs and rights to their assets, which were used to blackmail them into staying, according to prosecutors.
The indictment claims many so-called slaves were branded on their pelvic areas with a symbol which, unbeknownst to them, incorporated Raniere's initials.
As part of the agreement, Mack has to wear a Global Positioning System ankle bracelet and not have contact with the cult's other members, who reportedly include Seagram's liquor heiress Clare Bronfman and India Oxenberg, the daughter of Dynasty star Catherine Oxenberg. Nxivm released a statement saying that they are working to show his innocence and true character. Among those recruited include "Harry Potter" actress Emma Watson, whom Mack messaged over Twitter, and pop star Kelly Clarkson. Mack would later receive financial benefits from Raniere. Legal experts have called Nxivm a pyramid scheme, because its courses cost thousands and each member are encouraged to recruit others to take these classes, so they can rise within the ranks.
- Is romaine lettuce safe to eat despite E. coli outbreak?
- PM warns her ministers to stay away from customs union talks
- Amber Rudd says she 'bitterly regrets' not seeing scale of Windrush scandal
- Cleveland Browns No. 1 pick leaked?
- Rob Gronkowski Screw Retiring! I'm Coming Back, Baby!
- HC rejects CPM plea on West Bengal panchayat polls
- Volvo Plans For 50 Percent Of Sales To Be EVs By 2025
- Your PlayStation Plus games for May: Beyond: Two Souls and Rayman Legends
- Iron Spider Suit Swings Into New Spider-Man Game Promo
- Global Stocks Extend Slide After Treasurys Cross Milestone