Four miners have been rescued.
The head of the Jastrzebie Coal Company, Daniel Ozon, said Sunday the latest miner found at the Zofiowka coal mine was being taken to an underground base where a doctor will check him.
Rescuers battled in the early hours of Sunday to reach four coal miners who remained trapped almost one kilometre (0.6 mile) underground in southern Poland after an quake. Unexpected emergency staff pumped air in to the impacted area to lower the level of methane fuel until they may safely proceed, Ozon explained.
Katarzyna Jablonska-Bajer says Saturday that a rescue operation was launched at 11:25 a.m. after a tremor occurred at the Zofiowka mine run by the Jastrzebie Coal Company. The mine is sai to be located in the southern town of Jastrzebie-Zdroj near the boreder of Poland and Czech Republic.
Rescuers continued to search for the five remaining miners trapped some 900 metres underground, IAR reported.
The State Mining Authority said the tremor had a magnitude of 3.4 on the Richter scale. TVN24 said the quake was also felt on the surface and shook some houses.
"There has never been such a powerful tremor at the mine", she said, adding that rescuers can not go to the site because of high methane levels in the mine.
"We are doing everything to save the miners", he told reporters.
Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki, who came to Jastrzebie Zdroj on Saturday night, visited the hospitalized miners and met with their families.
Coal mining is a major industry in Poland. So far this year, five miners including Sunday's casualty have been killed at different mines, according to the State Mining Authority.
- Pakistan's interior minister Iqbal survives assassination attempt
- Bodies of two abducted men found in Jammu and Kashmir
- United States trade demands could make deal with China harder
- If Eden Hazard Leaves, Chelsea Considering Anthony Martial as Replacement
- Celtics' poise tops 76ers' youth in wild, crucial Game 3 win
- President Trump Thanks Kanye West for 'Doubling' African American Support
- Abbasi says country won't progress until politicians are respected
- Five terrorists killed in an encounter in Shopian, J&K
- Jacob DeGrom Will Try To Make Next Start, Mickey Callaway Says
- Xi Hearts Karl: Chinese President Names Marx "Greatest Thinker of Modern Times"