Struck by the unusualness of this statement, some on Twitter suggested it would probably make little to no difference if Trump attended the funeral, as long as McCain attended himself, insisting that death couldn't be used as an excuse to sanctify McCain.
Hatch added that McCain, who is battling brain cancer, should have his wishes fulfilled.
Trump and McCain have had a rocky relationship over the years.
The Arizona senator is battling brain cancer, and news about his funeral arrangements prompted at least one fellow senator, Orrin Hatch of Utah, to protest McCain's wish to bar Trump from his farewell service. In addition to their many disagreements over policy and protocol, Trump has criticized McCain for being captured during the Vietnam War.
"Well, he's the president of the United States and he's a very good man".
"I'd like everybody to take a collective breath and chill out on my dad for a second, especially Orrin Hatch", she said.
While former Presidents Barack Obama and George W. Bush are expected to make eulogies at any potential funeral for McCain, some Twitter users predicted that Trump would retaliate by disinviting McCain to his own funeral before killing himself to bring about those circumstances sooner than would otherwise be expected. "I like people who weren't captured", Trump told Iowa voters in July of 2015. He recently underwent surgery for an intestinal infection.
"I've spoken out of turn", Hatch told reporters Tuesday, according to The Hill. "I felt like I shouldn't have said what I said".
Hatch, the senior member of the Senate, told Politico on Monday he wanted to see McCain change his mind.
Hatch's comments would represent the first criticism from a GOP colleague of McCain's reported decision to not have Trump attend his funeral. "I hope he can".
- The Walt Disney Company (DIS)
- Valeant Pharma to rename itself as Bausch Health, lifts revenue outlook
- Britain's Got Talent star Ryan O'Shaughnessy makes Eurovision final for Ireland
- Stormy Daniels coming to Windsor in June
- Pelosi Calls Ad Saying She'll Raise Taxes 'Accurate'
- Japanese Foreign Ministry: No Comment on Israeli Shoe Served to PM Abe
- Saints RB Mark Ingram Suspended 4 Games For Violating NFL's PED Policy
- Cavaliers won't suspend or fine Rodney Hood
- Reasons Why season 2 trailer: Clay wants justice for Hannah
- Facebook bans foreign ads in Ireland abortion referendum