You're talking about a guy who has given his opponents a combined one break point in his last four matches, and that one chance wasn't converted.
He beat Rafael Nadal in straight sets: 7-5, 6-3 ending the latter's terrific run at the clay court.
Thiem backed up his win over Nadal in confident style and on clay is definitely not to be counted out, but Zverev has the bug-match winning experience, and comes in definitely a little fresher, although hopefully this will be as hard fought as the WTA final on Satuday.
While Thiem admits the conditions in Madrid suit him perfectly - it is where he reached his first Masters 1000 final previous year - he also believes he produced exceptional tennis to overcome the King of Clay.
The key for Zverev will no doubt be a more aggressive stance, and to prevent Thiem from controlling the rallies and dictating where to send Zverev, which he did effectively with Nadal.
However, in their ninth career clash, Thiem put Nadal under pressure nearly from the start and broke for a 4-3 lead in the first set.
"I was keeping my level up from yesterday, so that was a great thing".
"It's one of the toughest things to do to beat Rafa on clay", Thiem said.
Thiem leads Zverev 4-1 in head-to-head meetings, having won all their three meetings on clay so far. There he brushed aside Canadian teenager Denis Shapovalov 6-4 6-1. 'Of course, it gave me a huge boost of confidence. "That's a very good result".
Zverev already has two Masters 1000 titles to his name, and his greater experience told in the ninth game.
Since last year's loss to Thiem, Nadal had been impeccable on his preferred surface. Thiem improved to 10-2 in Madrid and is seeking his first win since the Argentina Open in February. Thiem prevailed in all the three clay-court meetings, but that took place all in the first half of 2016, when Zverev wasn't a real top player yet.
"But I'm playing quite well; so is he". In this year, he increased his level dramatically.
Thiem obviously has the edge over Zverev based on the head to head history and the 3-0 record against him on clay.
- Israel Targets Iran's Military in Syria With 'Unprecedented' Strikes
- Karnataka elections: 70% voter turnout, exit polls predict hung assembly
- Man United beat City to top of Premier League table
- David Price throws Jays curve in Red Sox win
- 42 killed in Israeli strikes in Syria this week
- Will Power Wins Third Grand Prix
- Israeli Prime Minister Spokesperson Says Israel Isn't Interested In War
- Chase for man suspected of stealing cruiser ends in crash
- MP Board Class 10th, 12th Result to be Released Tomorrow at mpbse
- Michael Owen states his prediction for Newcastle United v Chelsea FC