Dustin Johnson's reign of 64 weeks in a row at the top was the fifth-longest streak since the Official World Golf Ranking began in 1986. It is the first time that a former Alabama golfer has moved into the No. 1 spot as the top golfer in the world.
The Players Championship just concluded this weekend at TPC Sawgrass, and Webb Simpson took home the title.
Johnson finished tied for 17 for the week at 10 under, but Thomas's one stroke advantage was just enough to earn the ranking.
Thomas capped his week with a final-round 66 to finish in a six-way tie for 11th on 11-under 277 - seven shots behind runaway victor Webb Simpson.
Thomas has become the 21st world number one.Читайте также: F1: Lewis Hamilton wins Spanish GP, Sebastian Vettel fourth
Jon Rahm, Jordan Spieth and Justin Rose all had the opportunity to take over the No. 1 ranking based on various possible finishes. Thomas finished 2017 at No. 3 in the world, behind Johnson and Spieth.
An eight-time victor on the PGA Tour, Thomas has two top-10 finishes in majors, including his success at Quail Hollow previous year.
With the result, the US PGA Championship victor was confirmed as the new world number one. He won $9,921,560 plus a $10 million bonus as the FedEx Cup champion a year ago.
During his career at Alabama (2011-13), Thomas helped lead the Tide to the 2013 NCAA National Championship - the first in program history.
Mark Inabinett is a sports reporter for Alabama Media Group.При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2019 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.
Код для вставки в блог
- Realty Income Corp (NYSE:O) Quarterly Sentiment Report
- Microsoft's new Xbox controller designed for accessibility leaks ahead of reveal
- Moto C2, C2 Plus Renders Leaked
- Oil prices boom to highest levels in more than 3 years
- BMO Short-Term US Treasury Bond ETF (ZTS)
- Steam Controller gains Bluetooth LE to support the Steam Link app
- Arsene Wenger left an indelible mark and will be missed
- Multiverse May Sustain Life — Science Says
- Goldman Sees Oil Exports Giving US Leverage in Iran Sanctions
- Jose Mourinho Unsure Of Anthony Martial Injury Return Date