No firm details of the new league have yet been revealed, but pressure for a women's IPL has been building since India reached the final of the women's World Cup in England previous year.
The 36-year-old told Cricket Monthly that interest in the five-day format is waning and it doesn't have a future.
Smriti Mandhana and Harmanpreet Kaur, India Women's T20 captain, will lead the two teams, to be called the IPL XI and the BCCI XI.
In an effort to popularise women's cricket, the BCCI has organised an exhibition women's T20 ahead of Qualifier I at the Wankhede Stadium on May 22.
Top worldwide women players will take part in a Twenty20 exhibition game at Mumbai's Wankhede Stadium later this month. It is assured to be a precursor for bigger things to come in the future- Women's IPL. "Danni Wyatt and Daniel Hazell will add the English flavor".
According to Rajeev Shukla, the IPL Chairman, the global roster is also set to include the likes of New Zealand's Suzie Bates and Sophie Devine, England's Danni Wyatt and Danielle Hazell and Australia's Megan Schutt, Alyssa Healy, Beth Mooney and Ellyse Perry, who have all confirmed their participation for the one-off T20 outing. We were in talks with several boards and I am pleased with the outcome.
It's about time women's cricket got it's due.
BCCI administrator Vinod Rai on Tuesday had said that India aims to launch a women's edition of the popular Indian Premier League cricket tournament in the next three years. Indians, in particular, have neglected women's cricket and it's a pity that a fantastic performance in the ICC World Cup in 2017 caught the attention of the viewers and cricket fanatics across the country.
"I firmly believe that test cricket won't be around in time, because there's only so many teams that can afford to play it", said the Kiwi who is now plying his trade for Royal Challengers Bangalore in the Indian Premier League. What the world cup performance has done is a lot of women's bi-lateral series are being telecast including the tri-series between India, Australia, and England.
- I love Eurovision, but Jerusalem 2019 will be no cause for celebration
- USA trade representative office to hear corporations' case against tariffs
- Mom allegedly stabbed 11-year-old, fled with 7-year-old
- Ex-Trinidad and Tobago defender Jlloyd Samuel dies at 37
- Russian Federation take Romania's place in Ireland's Rugby World Cup pool after investigation
- Salman Khan's Race 3 makers to showcase trailer through 360 live video
- Prosecution Drops Felony Case Against Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens
- Omo-Agege, Ogboru opt out of APC's 'unity list'
- With few options, Iran and Europe try to save nuclear deal
- NCIS Star Reveals She Left Series After Allegedly Suffering Multiple Physical Assaults