But Mr. Glover may be one of the last artists to benefit from chart rules that counted free streams from outlets like YouTube on a basis equal to paid streams from subscription services like Apple Music or Spotify's premium tier.
The track also topped Billboard's weekly chart of digitally downloaded songs with 78,000 downloads.
The socially-conscious video accompanying the track launched shortly after Childish Gambino debuted This is America on Saturday Night Live on 5 May (18). As of today, the video on YouTube stands at a whopping 108 million views. He's really not making music after this.
Last week, buzz developed about "This Is America" possibly heading toward a Billboard Hot 100 top spot debut. According to Nielsen, the song was the most streamed track of the week with 65.3 million USA streams for the week ending on May 10.
This is hardly to say that radio doesn't still have an enormous impact on the Hot 100: "The Middle" and "Meant to Be" were both able to reach the chart's top five largely thanks to the format's embrace, becoming the current and previous Radio Songs No. 1s, respectively. "This Is America" has become the most-streamed and top-selling song this week, hitting the top slot on the Streaming Songs and Digital Song Sales charts.
The visual for the track makes a powerful statement about race, social justice, police brutality, politics and gun violence in the U.S.
- Oil Price Reaches 3yr High After US Withdrew From Iran Nuclear Deal
- Dozens killed in Gaza protests as US Embassy opens in Jerusalem
- Turkish PM says U.S. and Israel partners in crime against humanity
- Steam Controller gains Bluetooth LE to support the Steam Link app
- Chipotle fired her for alleged theft. Now it owes her $8 million
- Oil prices boom to highest levels in more than 3 years
- Moto C2, C2 Plus Renders Leaked
- Watch a trailer for Spike Lee's BlacKkKlansman, produced by Jordan Peele
- Multiverse May Sustain Life — Science Says
- CBS, Viacom had agreed on price for deal before lawsuit, sources say