But Mr. Glover may be one of the last artists to benefit from chart rules that counted free streams from outlets like YouTube on a basis equal to paid streams from subscription services like Apple Music or Spotify's premium tier.
The track also topped Billboard's weekly chart of digitally downloaded songs with 78,000 downloads.
The socially-conscious video accompanying the track launched shortly after Childish Gambino debuted This is America on Saturday Night Live on 5 May (18). As of today, the video on YouTube stands at a whopping 108 million views. He's really not making music after this.
Last week, buzz developed about "This Is America" possibly heading toward a Billboard Hot 100 top spot debut. According to Nielsen, the song was the most streamed track of the week with 65.3 million USA streams for the week ending on May 10.
This is hardly to say that radio doesn't still have an enormous impact on the Hot 100: "The Middle" and "Meant to Be" were both able to reach the chart's top five largely thanks to the format's embrace, becoming the current and previous Radio Songs No. 1s, respectively. "This Is America" has become the most-streamed and top-selling song this week, hitting the top slot on the Streaming Songs and Digital Song Sales charts.
The visual for the track makes a powerful statement about race, social justice, police brutality, politics and gun violence in the U.S.
- Moto C2, C2 Plus Renders Leaked
- Mikel, Moses, Musa, Lokosa… Nigeria's provisional World Cup squad
- Oil prices boom to highest levels in more than 3 years
- Parkland Students Had 'Legendary Breakfast' With Waffle House Shooting Hero James Shaw
- Neymar Named France's Player Of The Year
- Arsene Wenger left an indelible mark and will be missed
- Multiverse May Sustain Life — Science Says
- Thomas replaces Johnson as world number one
- Watch a trailer for Spike Lee's BlacKkKlansman, produced by Jordan Peele
- Bali, Jakarta on highest alert after Surabaya bomb attacks