Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called her Israel's "greatest ambassador". "The gift is that the Eurovision will come to Jerusalem next year". Israeli public broadcaster Kan partnered with Rabbi Interactive Agency of Tel Aviv to offer an augmented-reality Facebook effect using Barzilai's photos and clips.
The 25-year-old pre-competition favorite beat out competition from 42 other countries' performers Saturday to claim the music extravaganza's annual crown at the Grand Final with her song "Toy". Transgender singer Dana International won the competition in 1998 and Israel previously won back to back competitions in 1978 and 1979. Swed was on a flight from Bangkok during the Eurovision so he missed watching the competition live, though he said the flight attendant made an announcement to the entire plane listing the final results, prompting cheers.
The refrain, "I'm not your toy, you stupid boy" sends a serious message about sexual harassment while quirky clucking noises and dance moves keep the song lighthearted and fun.
Yes that's right, Eurovision Song Contest If you know your Lordis from your Conchitas, understand the... I am proud of you and I am proud of the delegation. The Palestinians claim east Jerusalem as the capital of their future state, a position with wide worldwide backing. "Next time in Jerusalem", Barzilai said in her moment of triumph.
Today is Jerusalem Day, the date on the Jewish Calendar when a large part of our Historic, Biblical Homeland was liberated in the 1967 Six Days War after thousands of years of occupation, most recently by Jordan.
"We are all hoarse, we celebrated all night and we didn't sleep", added Netta. The choice of the city where the contest will take place remains at the discretion of the winning country's leadership.
Barzilai thanked her fans Saturday in a video on Eurovision's Twitter account.
The biggest surprise during last night's performance came while the UK's SuRie was belting out her song, "Storm". "You have brought much respect for the State of Israel", it was translated as "Netta, You are a real cow".
Swed noted that the communities Barzilai celebrates - people with differences, including many members of the gay, lesbian and bisexual community who identify with her song - don't feel welcome in Jerusalem.
- Putin To Open Crimea Mega Bridge Linking Russia
- ESPN Films, Netflix to release 10-part Michael Jordan documentary
- George Soros: Foundation quits Hungary over 'repressive' policies
- Meryl Streep to Star in Panama Papers Movie from Steven Soderberg
- Gas prices are rising
- USA trade representative office to hear corporations' case against tariffs
- Crude oil prices may continue to roil world
- Microsoft Surface Hub 2 may actually make videoconferencing cool
- Google employees resign in protest of Google/pentagon drone program ars_ab.settitle(1308809)
- Fallen officer's son gets police escort to school