He got behind the wheel in the cabin of a Kamaz truck to lead a convoy of 35 vehicles (dump trucks, cranes, cement trucks, tanker trucks and other equipment) along the 19-kilometer bridge towards the Crimean seaside city of Kerch.
After Russia's annexation of Crimea in March 2014, the peninsula found itself between a rock and a hard place.
The new bridge from Russian Federation to the annexed peninsula Crimea opened on Tuesday six months ahead of schedule.
Russian President Vladimir Putin is attending the opening ceremony on Tuesday whereas the bridge will start regular operations beginning Wednesday.
The new bridge from Russian Federation to the annexed Crimea opened on Tuesday six months ahead of schedule.
U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch expressed confidence that the ongoing construction of the bridge over Kerch Strait could vastly interfere with Ukraine's transport connection with worldwide markets.
The works on the construction have begun in May 2015, regardless the withdrawal.
Meanwhile, Ukraine's security service raided the offices of Russian state media in Kiev and detained one local journalist on suspicions of treason, moves the chief editor of Russia's RT television suggested were linked to the bridge opening.
In July 2017, the bridge's arch for road traffic was installed.
The railway bridge is not yet finished and has a deadline of the end of 2019.
- Jon Jones tells Chuck Liddell to 'Come get it'
- Tehran, Moscow set to save nuclear deal: Iranian FM
- Germany announce preliminary 35-man squad
- Rage 2's First Gameplay Shows Explosive First-Person Shooter Action
- BSF soldier killed as India, Pak exchange fire along IB in Jammu
- Amazon Go stores are coming to Chicago and San Francisco
- Roberto Mancini to talk to Mario Balotelli about Italy return
- Gas prices are rising
- Apple's autonomous fleet is now the second-largest in the USA
- Mario Tennis Aces Demo Will Be Playable June 1-3