He got behind the wheel in the cabin of a Kamaz truck to lead a convoy of 35 vehicles (dump trucks, cranes, cement trucks, tanker trucks and other equipment) along the 19-kilometer bridge towards the Crimean seaside city of Kerch.
After Russia's annexation of Crimea in March 2014, the peninsula found itself between a rock and a hard place.
The new bridge from Russian Federation to the annexed peninsula Crimea opened on Tuesday six months ahead of schedule.
Russian President Vladimir Putin is attending the opening ceremony on Tuesday whereas the bridge will start regular operations beginning Wednesday.
The new bridge from Russian Federation to the annexed Crimea opened on Tuesday six months ahead of schedule.
U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch expressed confidence that the ongoing construction of the bridge over Kerch Strait could vastly interfere with Ukraine's transport connection with worldwide markets.
The works on the construction have begun in May 2015, regardless the withdrawal.
Meanwhile, Ukraine's security service raided the offices of Russian state media in Kiev and detained one local journalist on suspicions of treason, moves the chief editor of Russia's RT television suggested were linked to the bridge opening.
In July 2017, the bridge's arch for road traffic was installed.
The railway bridge is not yet finished and has a deadline of the end of 2019.
- Foo Fighters Back Headlining Cal Jam 2018
- Pompeo points to potential security assurances for Kim
- Tehran, Moscow set to save nuclear deal: Iranian FM
- George Soros: Foundation quits Hungary over 'repressive' policies
- Jon Jones tells Chuck Liddell to 'Come get it'
- Meryl Streep to Star in Panama Papers Movie from Steven Soderberg
- American Airlines bans hedgehogs, goats and other comfort animals from flights
- Gas prices are rising
- Lewis Hamilton 'rejuvenated' after Spanish Grand Prix win
- Germany announce preliminary 35-man squad