The song, released Friday and featuring Cardi B, Bebe Rexha and Charli XCX, contained lyrics hinting at the singer's bisexuality. A song like this just fuels the male gaze while marginalising the idea of women loving women. "Red wine, I just wanna kiss girls, girls girls", Ora sings on the track, which can be viewed below.
While the apology is surely appreciated by those who didn't appreciate her lyrics, it remains to be seen whether Rita will be comfortable performing the big lead single from her new album now that she's dealt with this controversy.
In a tweet today, Ora apologized for hurting anybody with the song and made a statement about her own sexuality.
The Your Song hitmaker, 27, took to her highly-followed social media account to express her regret over unintentionally hurting members of the LGBTQ community, confessing: 'I am sorry how I expressed myself in my song has hurt anyone'.
"Sometimes I just wanna kiss girls, girls, girls".
"I have had romantic relationships with women and men throughout my life and this is my personal journey", she added, appearing to confirm that she is attracted to women, which the singer implied last week.
Ora has responded to the backlash saying that the song comes from her personal experience having romantic relationships with women. I would never intentionally cause harm to other LGBTQ+ people or anyone.
'I'm 50/50, and I'm not gonna hide it. I know this wasn't the intention of the artists on the song, but it's the lack of consideration behind these lyrics that really get me.
"The values of Together #WePlayStrong centre not only around football but female empowerment and equality too, so I was 100 per cent behind this campaign when I was approached to partner with Uefa", said Ora.
"It was just such a statement; it was so fun", she said of Perry's 2008 hit.
- Rhetoric over USA exit from Iran deal rises
- South Korea Gave Kim a USB Drive Full of Economic Aid Proposals
- Bali, Jakarta on highest alert after Surabaya bomb attacks
- In new ad, Congressional candidate in New Mexico says 'F- the NRA'
- What You Need to Know About the Iran Deal
- Turkish PM says U.S. and Israel partners in crime against humanity
- Courageous mum shoots gunman attempting to rob parents outside school
- Are Analysts Bullish Devro plc (LON:DVO) After Last Week?
- Nanny gets life in prison without parole for killing 2 children
- Childish Gambino avoided internet after This Is America video release