Marseille are also battling for a top-three finish in the French league, and the fear is that fatigue will be a factor as they try to break down Atletico's brilliant defence.
Speaking ahead of the game, Torres looked ahead to the opportunity of picking up his first major trophy as an Atleti player, as well as forgetting about the twilight of his career due to the busy preparations. They have two ways to qualify for next season's Champions League - by winning this tournament or by finishing third in France, where they are now fourth and a point behind. There's a lot on the line in this one, more so for the French side, but both teams will be determined to potentially lift their only trophy of the season.
Marseille failed to win in their last Ligue 1 game as they played a 3-3 draw with Guingamp which dealt a blow to their chase of finishing in the second place to qualify for the Champions League.
"This is our first full season with Marseille and we did not expect to reach the Europa League final or qualify for the Champions League", the club's president, Jacques-Henri Eyraud said. Their previous campaigns ended in the round of 16 (2009/10), the group stage (2012/13) and the round of 32 (2015/16).
The French side, on the other hand, are looking to win the Europa League for the first time and while they had an easier road to the final, having overcoming Salzburg, they should not be dismissed, especially given the attacking flair offered by Dmitri Payet and Florian Thauvin.
Griezmann and Diego Costa will lead Simeone's attack as Atletico return to Lyon, where they lost 3-0 to Dynamo Kiev in the final of the now-defunct Cup Winners' Cup in 1986. You need to be humble, work hard and understand we're going to face a tough rival.
"We will play in a new final, where there are many feelings, emotions, belief, but above all there is humility".
Where can I watch the Europa League final? It'll be a attractive final. "We're going to need to seize control of the match". They have offensive full-backs. "They have very offensive minded wing backs and they're well prepared".
- Jared Kushner Says Gaza Protesters Are 'Part of the Problem'
- Red Sox Pitcher Carson Smith Expresses Concern Over Shoulder Injury
- Jets' road success to be tested in Vegas
- Coinbase launches suite of products for institutional investors
- US Identifies Suspect in Leak of CIA Hacking Tools
- World's first two-headed baby deer found in the United States
- Soyinka urges EFCC to go after past Nigerian leaders
- OnePlus 6 camera samples surfaces on the wild
- Meghan Markle's Dad Faked Paparazzi Photos Sold for $130K+, Report Claims
- Cowen Begins Coverage on Kulicke and Soffa Industries (KLIC)