Lawyers for Concord Management and Consulting LLC slammed Mueller's "political" witch hunt; claiming their clients had nothing to do with interfering in the 2016 race for the White House for either political candidate.
The indictment said Concord was controlled by Russian businessman Evgeny Prigozhin, who US officials have said has extensive ties to Russia's military and political establishment.
Concord is accused of providing funding for a Russian troll farm based in St. Petersburg that directed a social media campaign that investigators say was aimed at sowing discord among Americans and at generating favorable opinions of Trump while denigrating his Democratic opponent Hillary Clinton.
Attorneys for Concord want the judge to review the instructions prosecutors gave to the grand jury that issued the indictment, which Dubelier called "facially invalid", to "determine whether or not they include information that would support a motion to dismiss" the case. "The obvious reason for this is that no such crime exists in the federal criminal code".
Concord said Mueller's motive is his desire "to indict a Russian - any Russian".
Concord's lawyers have argued that Mueller is bucking years of US Department of Justice precedent "to indict a Russian-any Russian" as a means to "justify his own existence". In Monday's filing, the attorney claimed that the indictment does not allege that the company meant to break the law, even though the specific federal campaign and foreign agent registration laws at issue require the government to show willfulness. The lawyers also said a foreign company could not possibly have known the intricacies of USA federal election and foreign lobbying laws.
So far, Concord is the only company or person listed in Mueller's indictment to challenge the charges against them.
- Tenacious D Tease New Album, Reveal More 2018 Tour Dates
- Japan's economy just shrunk for the first time in over 2 years
- Samsung beefs up the Galaxy S9's color pallet with red and gold
- LeBron James flaunts incredible memory with detailed account of Boston Celtics run
- A COMPREHENSIVE GUIDE TO THE China Manned Electric Aircraft MARKET: 2018
- Soyinka urges EFCC to go after past Nigerian leaders
- Two-Week Click it or Ticket Seatbelt Enforcement Underway
- Alfie Evans: parents' legal battle to keep son on life support
- Coinbase launches suite of products for institutional investors
- Gwyneth Paltrow, 45, melts the internet with completely NUDE snap