Also, it seems ABC does not regret letting go of Tim Allen's "Last Man Standing" (another comedy starring a 1990s sitcom star as a conservative clashing with a liberal family.) The show's fate repeatedly "came down to the wire" as the network tried to negotiate with the studio, Twentieth Century Fox Television, Dungey said.
"Roseanne" may not focus on politics going into the second season of the revival, ABC Entertainment president Channing Dungey said. "That said, having touched on it in the first episode of the season, I think when you look on subsequent episodes of the run, the focus is not really on politics and much more on family and the everyday trials and tribulations that the family faces that still bring them together".
"In a very amusing way, I think it allowed us, between the different, political views of Roseanne and Jackie, to address some issues that we think have been conversations at other family dining tables across the country".
Still, the line from early in the reboot about Dan and Roseanne Conner sleeping on the couch then waking up after missing black-ish and Fresh off the Boat echoes in some people's minds: "We missed all the shows about black and Asian families", Dan says. "There, now you're all caught up". Many took the joke as a jab at fellow ABC comedies "Black-ish" and "Fresh Off the Boat". I do stand by the Roseanne writers. "I do think there's a little bit of that, yes", she agreed.
Asked in a teleconference with reporters Tuesday if she thinks more time will be devoted to the siblings' political differences in the future, Dungey replied: "We certainly did touch on some of that in the first episode".
This led to Dungey saying that ABC's shows would be as "diverse and inclusive as possible".
Originally, ABC ordered nine episodes for the revival, a number they've since upped to 13 for the fall. Fox executives likewise downplayed politics as a factor with the show.
- Fortnite 4.2 Delayed: Fortnite Downtime Rescheduled by Epic Games
- US Identifies Suspect in Leak of CIA Hacking Tools
- Mohoric wins day as Chaves fades
- Red Sox Pitcher Carson Smith Expresses Concern Over Shoulder Injury
- World's first two-headed baby deer found in the United States
- Caged tiger among live animals on display at Miami-Dade prom
- Cowen Begins Coverage on Kulicke and Soffa Industries (KLIC)
- How major USA stock indexes fared Tuesday
- 1 killed, 2 injured in Aliso Viejo office building explosion
- HTC announce blockchain-powered smartphone