"Why is he not fighting?" one person in the video says as the raccoon sits in the trap in the trash can filled almost to the brim with water. "It's bad. It still does make me sick to my stomach", the mother said of the drownings.
She claims the raccoons were held down with metal rods when they tried to come up for air.
The video below was recorded as the raccoons were being drowned.
The mother of the student too was unhappy.
"My son stood in the background, hid his phone and watched as they filled these trash cans full of water, and held these raccoons down in trash cans in the cages", the parent told the station.
"He knew while it was happening that it was wrong, so he did it anyway and stood behind people hiding, taking pictures and videos", said the mother.
Marion County Public Schools told Newsweek that the school district is investigating the incident and said the teacher involved has been placed on paid leave as of Tuesday afternoon, as per "standard procedure any time an employee is accused". He has worked as the school's Future Farmers of America adviser since 2006, according to his biography page on the school's website. The teacher allegedly filled a large garbage bin with water and submerged the trapped animals.
"We received statements that the teacher drowned multiple animals in front of students, and with student participation, because the animals were nuisances to the ag program at the school", spokesman Kevin Christian said.
The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission is also investigating, and told WJCB it was "looking into" the legality of the alleged incident. "The district is determining the status of the teacher at this moment". "The FWC takes these matters seriously", FFWCC said in a statement on the matter.
'This is a man who would give everything he had to make sure that his children/students are taken care of.
Some of Brewton's former students, meanwhile, have defended him as a teacher who has "gone above and beyond his call of duty" to help them.
But the mother of the student who filmed the incident remains unconvinced that the raccoons were handled in the appropriate manner.
The woman whose son recorded the video said that after they had killed the raccoons the students killed an opossum "just for sport".
She said her child came home in tears and was yelling and angry over what happened to the animals.
- Lachlan Murdoch to be New Fox CEO after proposed Disney deal
- Officer being called hero after stopping Dixon school shooter
- OPCW Fact-Finding Mission Confirms Likely Use of Chlorine in Saraqib, Syria
- Samsung Exynos processors may soon appear in ZTE and other phones
- Brussels calls on Italy to stay committed to the 'European path'
- African Athletes who disappeared from Commonwealth Games surface in Sydney
- Malaysia to remove GST on June 1
- Key Democrats Back CIA Director Nominee Gina Haspel
- Christina Aguilera Didn't Quit The Voice Because of Gwen Stefani
- NCAA Basketball: An early analysis of matchups for the 2018 Gavitt Games