He did admit that a major advantage of diesel was long-range driving and low fuel consumption, but countered that the same benefits could now be achieved by the new generation of 48-volt mild-hybrids, which use electric starter-generator motors to help power the car's engine for short bursts, but come without the weight and complication of more conventional hybrids.
Diesel's demise in Europe, the main market for the engine type, is accelerating with Volvo Cars saying it won't be offered for the upcoming S60 sedan as the shift to electrified cars takes shape.
Volvo sees its future as a 100 percent electric brand, like Tesla. It was the first traditional auto maker to commit to all-out electrification in July 2017. "We will phase out cars with only an internal combustion engine, with [gasoline] hybrid versions as a transitional option as we move towards full electrification".
As mentioned above, the new S60 will be the first new Volvo without a diesel option.
VOLVOThis will begin when the carmaker launches a new version of the S60 in the next few weeks
That means the S60 will only be available with petrol and hybrid units from launch, with all-electric models to follow in the near-future.
Last month, Volvo Cars reinforced its electrification strategy, by stating that it aims for fully electric cars to make up 50 per cent of its global sales by 2025.
Volvo made headlines previous year by announcing all new cars from 2019 will feature some form of hybridisation or electrification.
The new S60 is yet to be revealed, but it will be based on the same platform as the V60 estate, which was launched earlier this year and is available with diesel engines. Mild hybrid options will debut next year. The Charleston plant will be the only manufacturing location for the new S60, meaning American-built S60s will be sold in the U.S. market as well as overseas through exports.
- Eden Hazard wants Chelsea to sign more players this summer
- Caltex's Tim Cahill Stunt At The Centre Of World Cup Conspiracy Theory
- Uddhav Thackeray dares BJP to fight polls with ballot
- Manhattan Ends Prosecutions for Marijuana Possession
- Family in agony after baby dies at Gaza protest
- Meghan Markle's father not attending royal wedding
- Hero canine rescues his pal from drowning in pool in viral video
- Delta plans new services as deal ends Gulf acrimony
- Rahul Gandhi criticise Narendra Modi government over petrol price hike
- How Analysts Rated NXP Semiconductors NV (NASDAQ:NXPI) Last Week?