There was no doubting the quality of the approach play to Pogba's goal, though, after he exchanged one-twos with two team mates to carve his way through the middle of the Australia defence.
France's forward Antoine Griezmann controls the ball during the Russian Federation 2018 World Cup Group C football match between France and Australia at the Kazan Arena in Kazan on June 16. He will no doubt go on and make the comments of Desailly - and many others - look foolish with his new club, where he will hopefully get the chance to shine denied to him at Old Trafford.
Federation Internationale de Football Association director of referees Massimo Busacca admits the system has been rushed in for the World Cup, but insists officials are ready and that VAR will help referees make better decisions in Russia.
"First of all, I felt the contact, for me it was a penalty and there was no whistle", Greizmann said post-match.
Socceroos skipper Mile Jedinak sent his French counterpart Hugo Lloris the wrong way to give Australia hopes of forcing a draw at the Kazan Arena but Pogba grabbed the victor in the 81st minute.
The first stoppage in play after the incident was roughly 25 seconds after it.
Samuel Umtiti was involved in one of the most weird moments at the World Cup so far in France's match against Australia. A win against the South Americans next would allow France coach Didier Deschamps to rotate his players for the final game. Nobody expected we could play this way against France. "I feel hard done by", the goalkeeper said.
"It gives us confidence I think". We have to do better in how we control matches in the way we use the ball, in our positioning with and without the ball.
As it went, Australia weren't behind for long.
Information from Julien Laurens was used in this report.
- England, Australia ODI series begins today
- Russian views of their World Cup team go from shame to pride
- Trump Claims Has 'Largely Solved' North Korean Nuclear Crisis
- Denmark beats Peru to gain crucial advantage at World Cup
- Sarah Huckabee Sanders denies reports of leaving White House
- Egypt forward Mohamed Salah fit to face Russian Federation
- Trump attacks Republican up for re-election with reference to affair
- Major fire ravages celebrated Glasgow School of Art for second time
- Canadians are now boycotting U.S. goods
- Dhawan, Vijay tons power India