Twenty hours of uncertainty for Jeurys Familia and the Mets ended Saturday afternoon with the finalization of a trade that sent him to the Oakland Athletics. He was a fourth-round pick in the 2017 draft out of Vanderbilt.
The deal, which was agreed to Friday night, but finalized as the Mets took the field in the Bronx, includes the A's taking on all of the $3 million owed Familia for the rest of this season.
A day after saying he may need surgery on both heels that would require an eight-to-10-month recovery, Yoenis Cespedes missed the Mets' 7-6 Subway Series loss Saturday because of body soreness. This season, Familia is enjoying a career resurgence, tallying 17 saves to go with 2.88 ERA this season for the last-place Mets. "I think we have multiple options", Callaway said.
Wahl had a cup of coffee with the A's last season, pitching to a 4.70 ERA and 1.57 WHIP in seven appearances.
The move is a distinct change from what the A's have done in recent years. In addition, the Mets also got a $1 million in global money as part of the trade.
"For already having a good bullpen, to be able to bring in an arm like this, man, it's pretty significant", Melvin said.
The Oakland Athletics have been a good team this season, surprising everyone by going into the All-Star break with a 55-42 record and they're now 3rd place in the AL West and sit only 3 games out of the 2nd Wild Card spot. "You can't ask for much more".
With the Mets (40-55) languishing near the bottom of the National League standings, Familia and infielder Asdrubal Cabrera were expected to be traded for prospects as the July 31 trade deadline approaches. Cabrera also is eligible for free agency after the season. After the game, a somber Familia, unsure where he was headed, said between hugs from Mets, "I love this team and I love my teammates". He led the majors with a franchise-record 51 saves the following year, again helping NY reach the playoffs. The right-hander, who had 17 saves with NY, arrived in Oakland about an hour before the game, but managed to pitch two scoreless innings.
If the A's can get six strong innings from their starter and their offense can put up some runs (like they've done all season), closing games out with Familia-Trivino-Treinen in the final three innings could be extremely risky.
To clear a roster spot, the A's transferred right-hander Daniel Gossett to the 60-day disabled list.
- Deadly LA market shooting started with domestic feud
- McIlroy 'ran out of holes' in chase for elusive fifth Major
- Johnny Manziel traded to CFL's Alouettes
- SpaceX rocket makes a attractive pre-dawn landing at seaa
- Armoured dinosaur with spiky head unveiled at Utah museum
- Hundreds of 'White Helmet' rescue workers are evacuated from Syria
- Francesco Molinari stays calm as Tiger-mania grips Carnoustie
- There's a solid theory about why Richarlison's transfer fee is so high
- French investigators raid home of French President Macron's bodyguard
- 'Equalizer 2′ Beats 'Mamma Mia 2′ at Weekend Box Office