A viral video shows a ball being tossed from the field to a small fan during Sunday's game against the Cardinals.
The optics on the video were just frightful. That unwritten rule is apparent at every baseball game, which is why there's such outrage whenever a ball is "stolen" from a child.
But infielder Javier Báez, who spotted the rush for the ball, made a decision to give the boy another ball - this one signed - to make up for his missing out during the game.
However, it appears that not all is what it seems on the short clip. Well, according to David Kaplan of NBC Sports Chicago, the man who was vilified had given the boy a baseball earlier in the game.
One person defending the move responding to the tweet, "I like this guy, and he's got a pair of incredible shades on".
He turned around to collect the ball but to his horror a selfish supporter played a game of finders keepers with the kid, who looked no older than six or seven. All is well. Guy is A-OK so let it go people'.
CubsHQ spoke with a fan that actually sat beside the couple that got the ball in the video. The boy tries to catch the ball but it rolls under the seat and a couple of adult Cubs fans keep it for themselves!
One thing is for certain: Venable was definitely tossing the ball specifically to that kid, so regardless of his intentions, it wasn't exactly cool. Follow our Facebook page to get updates on your news feed!
- Sania Mirza Backs Mesut Ozil Against Racism
- Deadly LA market shooting started with domestic feud
- Mohamed Salah offers support to under-fire Reds goalkeeper
- French investigators raid home of French President Macron's bodyguard
- Donald Trump says lawyer's recording 'perhaps illegal'
- Woman in Maryland impaled in chest by beach umbrella
- Spieth finds Open positives despite tough final round
- Sri Lanka Cricket to launch inquiry into Danushka Gunathilaka incident
- Punching Other Cyclists Will Get You Kicked Off The Tour De France
- At least 11 dead Sat. as heat wave continues to grip Japan