Complemented by a pair of rather fabulous gold "70s boots, her foot-stomping performance of "Mamma Mia" is quite something".
Overall this weekend, Universal titles took four spots in the box office's top 10: Mamma Mia 2, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom ($11M), Skyscraper ($10.96M) and Blumhouse's The First Purge ($4.98M), altogether grossing $61.3M and repping 36% of the weekend's $169.1M ticket sales per ComScore.
But a spanner was thrown in the works at the USA box office, in the shape of Denzel Washington.
The numbers aren't great for either movie in a relatively quiet summer weekend in theaters, but it's about what was expected for each, with Equalizer slightly beating out its own projections. It was revealed that the two stars, who play older and younger versions of Donna Sheridan in Mamma Mia 2, are in fact ninth cousins, three times removed, and are both descended from Henry Howland in Cambridgeshire in 1634. Maybe if there's a third "Mamma Mia!" they can bring in Denzel for some dancing fun. All on a budget of $52 million.
Ant-Man and the Wasp continued its sharp decline with another 49% drop this week while Hotel Transylvania 3 proves once again that if you make a kids movie, you are essentially printing money by bringing its total worldwide box office over 200 million dollars. The first "Equalizer", from 2014, opened similarly and went on to earn over $190 million worldwide.
People complain about all these sequels and reboots, but that also seems to be what they're most willing to pay to see.
- Netanyahu says Israel to continue to strike Iranian military presence in Syria
- Toddler dies in accidental shooting in U.S. ..
- French investigators raid home of French President Macron's bodyguard
- Afghan VP Dostum to return after more than a year in exile
- SpaceX rocket makes a attractive pre-dawn landing at seaa
- Sania Mirza Backs Mesut Ozil Against Racism
- Parasite In McDonald's Salads Sickens 163 People In 13 States
- Japan sees record-breaking temperatures in deadly heat wave
- Deadly LA market shooting started with domestic feud
- Francesco Molinari stays calm as Tiger-mania grips Carnoustie