Saturday, 18 August 2018
Latest news
Main » Teen’s foot infected with hookworm after friends bury him in sand

Teen’s foot infected with hookworm after friends bury him in sand

27 July 2018

A mother from Memphis, Tenn., is warning others about the dangers of walking barefoot on the beaches of Florida after her son contracted a frightening and painful hookworm infection in his feet.

"While she was using the liquid nitrogen, he could actually feel the worms moving in his body", Dumas said.

His mother, Kelli Dumas, said that Michael is in extreme pain and is taking several medications that cost the insured family more than $1,300.

Kelli Dumas told Local Memphis that her 17-year-old son, Michael, and eight other boys went on a church trip in June.

"They're incredibly awful and they're so graphic", said his mother. He is on medications to treat not only the parasite but also the staph, a bacterial infection that, when not promptly and properly treated, can become life-threatening, according to the Mayo Clinic. Dumas was photographed having a good time and being buried in the sand by his group on June 20.

Michael Dumas, who was reportedly diagnosed with hookworms, first complained of tiredness and ear pain but later noticed bumps on his thigh, Fox 13 Memphis reported.

The doctors told Michael that his infection likely occurred after he was buried in the sand at Pompano Beach, where hookworm eggs had hatched. But you can get them for $0.30 per pill in Honduras.

"We have been to the pediatrician 4 times, to a dermatologist and have a follow-up appointment today", she wrote in the post dated July 20 that has been shared almost 9,000 times".

'He is in pain and this is terrible. "Never be buried in sand or allow your children to be either!"

'I am only showing a few pictures because it is so disturbing. "Please, please pray for him to heal". "I assured them everyone does NOT KNOW THAT!"

This is a photo of Michael Dumas' foot on July 25, more than a month after he was buried in the sand on a Florida beach. Most of the patients do not experience with any kind of symptoms or even side effects while some may suffer with abdominal issues, weight loss, anaemia, loss of appetite and fatigue.

Infection occurs when skin makes contact with soil that is contaminated. "I just hope he can wear shoes by then". She said it's also important for pet owners to have their dogs and cats regularly dewormed.

"Honestly, in this area, I'd say that sandboxes are the biggest concern, but other places, too". "I don't want anyone else to go through this; he's going to be permanently scarred".

Teen’s foot infected with hookworm after friends bury him in sand