"We've been getting a lot of calls this year regarding mosquito treatment because the records are showing the mosquitoes are at a population of three times more than the normal level".
"It was just a positive pool, so those areas just had some mosquitos that did test positive".
This is the first time in 2018 that the virus has been detected in the area.
Last year, 20 confirmed or probable cases were reported in the capital, and 147 confirmed or probable human cases in Ontario. "We are fortunate to have had only a few cases of human illness, but finding the virus in mosquitoes is a reminder that we must take precautions throughout the WNV season". However, about 80 percent of people who become infected with the virus will not show any symptoms. Limit the number of places around your home for mosquitoes to breed by either draining or discarding items that hold water.
Any containers that can collect water should be discarded or dumped daily.
Empty and clean birdbaths and pet's water bowls at least once or twice a week.
Rain barrels and other water collection devices must be screened, and collected water should be used within one week. Make sure swimming pools and fountains are operational and circulating.
Apply mosquito repellent that contains DEET, Picaridin or Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus and apply as directed on the skin. Long-sleeves, long trousers and socks will help keep mosquitoes away from your skin.
Officials say the best protection is to avoid being bitten.
Set up outdoor fans to keep mosquitoes from flying near you.
Always use repellents according to the label.
Since mosquitoes tend to most active at dawn and dusk, residents can also protect themselves by using a bug spray with DEET and wear long trousers and shirts to minimize exposure. These products are generally available at local pharmacies.
- Hungarian GP: Lewis Hamilton enjoys a victory against the odds
- This planet will be extra bright tonight
- Xbox Live Games With Gold August 2018 Lineup Revealed
- Chamber leader weighs in on smashed Trump star
- Tour de France combative honour for Dan Martin
- Battlefield V’s Grand Operations Will Be Available at Launch
- Major auto exporters said to plan meeting amid USA tariff threat
- Saudi-led coalition renews strikes on Yemen's main port city
- Carr Fire Kills 5 People, Burns 80k Acres Near Redding, California
- Taliban official says group spoke with U.S. diplomat