An Indianapolis teen suffered severe burns in an internet prank gone wrong.
A 15-year-old from IN is recovering from second-degree burns after his friends reportedly threw boiling water on him while he slept.
The 15-year-old Indianapolis, Ind., native told Fox 59 News this week that the pair had been looking up the "Hot Water Challenge" on YouTube last week when his friend chose to try the internet prank on Clark after he fell asleep.
The challenge has manifested in a few different ways over the past several years: boil water and either drink it, pour it on yourself or pour it on a friend.
The social media challenge left the teen with second-degree burns to the face, and on his chest and back.
Doctors at Indiana University Health told FOX 59 they're seeing more prank-related injuries in the emergency room. He had to stay in the hospital for a week while undergoing treatment.
The teens boiled water, and poured it on Clark while he slept. Hopefully the lesson Clark learned can promulgate throughout the internet faster than the challenge itself, showing young people that boiling water, whether tossed on someone or ingested, is nothing to laugh about. Last year, an 8-year-old died in Florida after attempting the challenge.
"It's suggesting to people that they can try it and maybe they won't be hurt, but they will be".
"If your friends are telling you to do this, they are not good friends", Bartkus said. In the case of the hot water challenge, Dr. Ed Bartkus says it's possible to end up with permanent disfigurement due to burns or, if someone swallows the hot water, burns to the airway that could cause them to close, resulting in death.
"When I took my shirt off my skin just melted off of me", Kyland Clark, 15, recalled.
Clark was treated for his injuries in the hospital for a week.
Kyland is recovering from his injuries.
- France shocked by video of woman being slapped by harasser
- Moto E5 Play and E5 Plus becomes available from T
- 3D-printed guns: 21 states ask government for an emergency ban
- Kim Kardashian Shows Off New ‘Do & Super Slimmed-Down Figure
- Manchester United make contact with Yerry Mina
- Kohli's India warm up with good hit
- Leaked iPad Pro schematics reveal mysterious new connector
- North Korea Might Be Working On New ICBMs
- Sen. Rand Paul Endorses Supreme Court Nominee Brett Kavanaugh
- José Mourinho tells Manchester United players: cut holidays short