The Red Planet was closer to the Earth and brighter than it has been in 15 years, making for some spectacular images.
This full moon in July was also known as the Full Buck Moon and the Thunder Moon, occurring when a male deer's antlers are in full growth and at a time of frequent thunderstorms, according to the Old Farmer's Almanac. You can see the live stream below: If you aren't aware, a lunar eclipse takes place when Earth comes in between the Sun and the Moon.
A rare alignment of Sun, Earth, Moon and Mars-began in one line and thus you could observe a lunar Eclipse and opposition of Mars.
Now Playing: Watch this: The planets are aligned for a lunar eclipse, blood moon.
The view of the eclipsed moon and the sun is possible, weather allowing, because the rays of light from the sun and moon refract, or bend, around the earth's atmosphere.
The eclipse will be visible to people in Europe, Africa and the Middle East on July 27 between sunset and midnight. All this time the Moon was in the shadow of the Earth. That's nearly as long as the longest lunar eclipse ever, which came in at an hour and 47 minutes.
Although the lunar event starts at 3:30 pm EST and lasts until 5:13 pm EST today, you're at least going to want to make time in your schedule to catch today's lunar eclipse around 4:21 pm EST.
This gives the moon a unusual red glow as it disappears into the Earth's shadow.
The blood moon from Terry Hills, New South Wales.
As the moon moves into the Earth's shadow, it will darken.
AUSTRALIA: One photographer captured the various phases of the moon during the lunar eclipse.
"Provided the clouds clear a little, hopefully we'll get a good view of it". The eclipse will be visible from eastern South America as it is ending, and from Australia as it is beginning.
PA has revealed the most commonly googled questions that people have been searching for with regards to the upcoming eclipse. All of Asia (including India), and Eastern Africa will get to watch the entire eclipse including the two partial lunar eclipse.
- Split concerns force Durex to recall some condoms in UK…
- Voter ID required to stop Democrats' push for non-citizens to vote
- Andy Murray: 'I'm starting from scratch'
- International News Chelsea boss unhappy with Willian 4 hours ago
- Two Americans cyclists among four dead in Tajikistan hit-and-run
- Donald Trump calls on Jeff Sessions to stop Robert Mueller's Russian Federation probe
- Shares of Tyson Fell Over 7% Following Profit Outlook Cut
- R1.2bn Manchester United Target Requests Whopping Salary
- The TSA has been secretly monitoring US airline passengers using air marshals
- Basic income program cut 'devastating' for recipients