Response: Each year around 9,800 people in the United Kingdom are diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.
We found that mice with pancreatic cancer survived almost three times longer if a constituent of medicinal cannabis was added to their chemotherapy treatment", said Marco Falasca, a professor at the Queen Mary University of London."Cannabidiol is already approved for use in clinics, which means we can quickly go on to test this in human clinical trials.
Cannabidiol or CBD is an element in cannabis that does not have psychoactive effects or the feeling of being high.
Pancreatic cancers begin when cells in the pancreas begin to multiply uncontrollably and form an abnormal and excessive tissue growth with the potential to spread to other parts of the body.
Clinical trials are still needed to determine if CBD use in conjunction with chemotherapy treatments would improve life expectancy rates for humans diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.
There are few options for pancreatic cancer treatments available and the five-year survival rate is less than 7 percent, so Falasca stresses the search for new treatments is very urgent for this specific type of cancer.
Cannabidiol is already cleared for use in clinics and does not face the same challenges as products such as cannabis oil, which contain controlled substances.
The researchers said it is also known to improve the side effects of chemotherapy including nausea, diarrhoea and vomiting.
About half of all cases are diagnosed in people over 75 years old.
"Cannabidiol is already approved for use in clinics, which means we can quickly go on to test this in human clinical trials".
Study author Professor Nick Lemoine, from Barts Cancer Institute, told the Evening Standard: 'We have achieved what appears to be cures in the animal models, but this still remains early days. News is increasingly biased, corrupt, or agenda driven.
You can help support free, independent journalism for as little as 50p.
- Basic income program cut 'devastating' for recipients
- Trump threatens to increase tariffs on China; China calls it ‘blackmail’
- Donald Trump calls on Jeff Sessions to stop Robert Mueller's Russian Federation probe
- Urban Meyer knew of 2009 incident involving assistant fired after domestic charge
- Smriti Mandhana shares ‘fan girl moment’ with Kumar Sangakkara
- R1.2bn Manchester United Target Requests Whopping Salary
- Facebook is ready for WhatsApp to start making money
- One Soldier, Four Militiamen Killed in Car Bomb Attack in Philippines
- Ohio State's Meyer put on leave, investigation opened
- USA says remains returned by North Korea likely American